Mumbai doctor couple collects 20kg of unused Covid-19 meds in 10 days

A doctor couple from Cuffe Parade has collected 20kg of unused Covid-19 medicines from recovered patients in just 10 days
HT Image
HT Image
Published on May 11, 2021 12:57 AM IST
Copy Link
ByRupsa Chakraborty

A doctor couple from Cuffe Parade has collected 20kg of unused Covid-19 medicines from recovered patients in just 10 days. These medicines will be donated to the primary health care centres in rural districts across India for the timely treatment of the underprivileged, who are infected with Sars-CoV-2 – the virus that causes Covid-19.

On May 1, Dr Marcus Ranney and his wife Dr Raina, both aged 37, started Meds For More — a citizen initiative to collect unused medicines from Covid-19 recovered patients – from their apartment building Atur Terraces. Since then, residents from around 100 buildings have donated their unused, unexpired medicines for the campaign.

“Covid-19 patients all across the country are facing an acute shortage of medicines. So why waste even a single dose? These can be used for treating those living in rural and tribal areas, who are the most affected. Through this initiative, we want to help such underprivileged people,” said Dr Ranney, who along with the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), worked in the slums of Dadar for the screening and treatment of Covid-19 patients during the first wave of the pandemic last year.

Meds for More collects all kinds of unused medicines such as antibiotics, Fabiflu, pain relief, steroids, inhalers, vitamins, antacids, among others, that are being used to treat Covid-19 patients. Additionally, they are also collecting basic medicinal equipment like pulse oximeters and thermometers.

“All donated medicines are segregated and checked for expiry dates. We have collected around 2kg of Fabiflu, 1kg of steroids, 6kg of vitamins, 4kg of acetaminophen like paracetamol, among others,” said Dr Ranney.

With the growing awareness about the initiative, residents from neighbouring buildings have started volunteering to collect medicines.

Colaba resident Meghna Chhabria, who is a volunteer, said, “I wanted to help underprivileged people in this pandemic but I was too scared to go on the field as I haven’t been vaccinated yet. So when I got to know about this initiative, I helped in collecting the unused medicines from my building and neighbours.”

The 39-year-old also handles the social media account of the campaign to raise awareness about the cause.

The team has tied up with different non-government organisations (NGOs) to dispense medicines to needy patients. They have also finalised their first consignment which will be sent to the tribal residents in Gujarat.

“At present, our first priority will be tribals from Maharashtra and Gujarat. We will then gradually, expand it to other states,” Dr Marcus said.

The initiative is not only limited to south Mumbai. “Any recovered patient from any part of the city can send us their unused medicines. There are no geographical restrictions. We want to extend the initiative all across the city. It is extremely feasible and can be also replicated in other cities,” said Ruchie Kothari, 37, a team member.

Those interested in donating their unused medicines, can contact medsformoreindia@gmail.com or reach out to their Instagram page @medsformore.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • This time, the exams were held in offline mode after two years due to the Covid-19 pandemic. (Ht file photo)

    PSEB declares Class 12 results with pass percentage of 96.96%

    The Punjab School Education Board on Tuesday declared the Class 12 result for the 2021-22 session with a pass percentage of 96.96%. The results will be uploaded for the students on the PSEB's official website www.pseb.ac.in and on www.indiaresults.com after 10am on Wednesday. Also read: Punjab Board PSEB 12th Results 2022 LIVE: Class 12 result declared, 96.96% pass This time, the exams were held in offline mode after two years due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

  • The charge-sheet was stayed by Justice Sunil Dutt Yadav's single-judge-bench. (PTI)

    Karnataka HC stays Mekedatu padayatra charge sheet against Cong leaders

    The Karnataka High Court on Tuesday stayed the operation of the chargesheet filed against Congress leaders including former Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and party's state president D K Shivakumar, accused of violating COVID-19 protocol. The chargesheet was filed in the case pertaining to the padayatra led by the two leaders demanding construction of the Mekedatu dam across the river Cauvery. The charge-sheet was stayed by Justice Sunil Dutt Yadav's single-judge-bench.

  • Shashikala Jolle, Minister for Religious Endowment, Hajj and Wakf. (Wikipedia image)

    Karnataka launches ‘Kashi Yatra’ scheme: Details and how to apply

    The BJP-led government in Karnataka on Monday launched the 'Kashi Yatra' project which offers around 30,000 pilgrims cash assistance of 5,000 each to take up a pilgrimage to the Kashi Vishwanath Temple in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, news agency PTI reported. Eligibility to apply for the scheme: 1. Beneficiary should be a native of Karnataka 2. Beneficiaries who have already availed the subsidy once are not eligible Documents required: 1.

  • The family members had gone for dinner when the tragedy took place. (Image for representative purpose)

    Rajasthan: Five members of family killed after car rams into parked truck

    In a tragic incident, five members of a family were killed in a road accident after their car rammed into a parked truck in Ahore area of Jalore district in Rajasthan on Tuesday. The deceased were identified as Ram Lal Prajapat (23), Manaram Sargara (30), Kamlesh Prajapat (24), Chhaganlal Prajapat (24) and Dinesh Kumar Prajapat (24). Former CM Vasundhara Raje, Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the incident.

  • Karnataka HC ordered release of Andhra woman from prison who allegedly killed her two-month-old daughter.

    Karnataka HC sets aside life term for woman who killed 2-month-old daughter

    The Karnataka High Court has set aside a sessions court order of life sentence on a woman from Andhra Pradesh who allegedly killed Kavitha, from Madakasira in Sri Sathyasai district of Andhra Pradesh's two-month-old daughter, and ordered her release from prison. The Fourth Additional District and Sessions Judge, Madhugiri in Tumakuru district on July 22, 2017, convicted Kavitha, from Madakasira in Sri Sathyasai district of Andhra Pradesh, under Section 302 (punishment for murder) of the Indian Penal Code, to undergo life imprisonment for murder.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, June 28, 2022