Two minors sexually assaulted in Delhi, accused known to victims
Two incidents of sexual assault on minors were reported from two different places in Delhi on Wednesday night and in both cases, the suspects were known to the victims.
In the first incident, an eight-year-old girl was raped, allegedly by a relative, in northwest Delhi’s Ashok Vihar on Wednesday night. Police have arrested the 25-year-old man.
According to the police, the assault was reported around 10 pm when the girl’s parents, both daily wage labourers, saw her crying.
When they asked, she reported injuries on her private parts. Police said the girl told her parents that one of their relatives, who lives nearby, had taken her to his house and sexually assaulted her.
The parents reported the matter to the police, who took the girl to Babu Jagjivan Ram Memorial hospital for medical examination.
Deputy commissioner of police (northwest) Vijayanta Arya said a case of rape under IPC section 376 and under relevant sections of POCSO Act was registered after sexual assault was confirmed.
Based on her complaint, the relative, a native of Bihar, also a labourer, was arrested from his house, Arya said.
In a separate incident on Wednesday night, a 16-year-old girl was allegedly sexually assaulted by a neighbour at Sarai Kale Khan in southeast Delhi. Police said they have been both friends for the past three years.
A police officer, who did not want to be named, said the girl sustained a minor injury, which she reported to her mother. Her family members took her to a hospital, where it was confirmed that she had been sexually assaulted.
“Since the girl is a minor, the hospital staff reported the matter to the police. Initial probe revealed the girl was with her friend alone when he sexually assaulted her. Her medical condition is stable,”the officer said.
Additional deputy commissioner of police (southeast) Kumar Gyanesh said a case of rape and under POCSO Act has been registered. “The neighbour has been detained and his age is being confirmed,” he added.
The national Capital registers around 2,000 cases of rape every year. Till August 30 this year, 1,019 rape capes had been registered across the city.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Experts, however, attributed the reduction to the “unprecedented conditions” brought about by the Covid-19 lockdown and called for reforms to curb pollution by local and regional factors.
- The L-G also noted that the economy of the Capital shrunk by 5.6% due to the pandemic.
- Transport experts say the Metro ridership may have also suffered on account of the free bus rides for women scheme
- According to the outcome budget, education was among the sectors where the government was able to achieve maximum targets.
- In the outcome budget, which was also presented on Monday, the government said that 40% of the work on the underpass was completed until December last year.
- There were 87.8 lakh Covid-19 tests conducted in the city till December 31, 2020.
- On the occasion, the Delhi Police also honoured 22 women personnel for their remarkable efforts beyond the call of duty during the Covid-19 pandemic period
- A police team immediately rushed to the spot and found that the body had been buried in a mound of sand that had been unloaded there for construction work at the media centre.
- The two who managed perfect scores were Pravar Kataria, 17, a resident of Vikaspuri and Ranjim Prabal Das, 18, a resident of Janakpuri.
- Take a look at these series of paintings near the Rose Garden in Sector 15
- This is the first time since 2010-11 that the per capita income in the country’s capital has shrunk.