New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Sep 20, 2019-Friday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Saturday, Sep 21, 2019

Timeline of events that led to woman convict’s death in Byculla Jail

How the assault took place .

mumbai Updated: Jun 29, 2017 09:04 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Mumbai
Manjula Shetye, the prisoner who died after being assaulted at Byculla Jail in Mumbai.
Manjula Shetye, the prisoner who died after being assaulted at Byculla Jail in Mumbai.

The death of 38-year-old woman murder convict after being brutally assaulted by officials at Mumbai’s Byculla Jail last week has sparked an outrage.

Manjula Shetye’s death triggered violent protest in the jail as around 200 inmates, including former media entrepreneur Indrani Mukerjea, climbed up the prison’s terrace and also allegedly hurt staff and damaged property.

Police have booked six jail officials for the death of Shetye, who was serving a life imprisonment sentence after being convicted of the murder of her sister-in-law. Since her conviction, Shetye was lodged at Yerwada jail and was moved to Byculla prison about three months ago.

Here is how the events unfolded on June 23:

9.00am: Jail officials hand over food to Shetye, who was made warden of her barracks because of her good behaviour, to distribute among other inmates.

10.30am: Shetye finds two eggs and five slices of bread missing from the ration. She asks jailer Manisha Pokharkar and her staff the reason behind the shortage.

10.35am: Jail inmates hear Shetye cry for help while being beaten up by jail officials. Later, they saw her being pulled by a scarf tied around her neck till her barrack number 5.

12pm: Jail officials go inside Shetye’s barrack and start assaulting her again. According to an eyewitness, women constables strip her in front of everyone and shove a stick inside her private parts. She was left bleeding in the barrack and no help was offered by authorities, the witness said.

7pm: Shetye asks her fellow inmates to take her to the bathroom and falls unconscious there. The inmates request jail officials to call doctors. The resident doctor at the jail immediately asks officials to transfer her to JJ Hospital.

9pm: She is declared dead at JJ Hospital. The autopsy report says Shetye had about 11 to 13 contusions all over her body. According to the dean of JJ Hospital, the woman’s lungs were damaged.

First Published: Jun 28, 2017 11:54 IST