FIR against IIT Roorkee director, 4 others for ‘financial fraud’ worth crores
The Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate court of Roorkee in Haridwar district has ordered the police to file a case against the director of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee and four other staffers for alleged “financial fraud” in scholarships, central grants and construction money.
The order was passed by the court on Wednesday while hearing a petition filed by a former IIT staffer Manipal Sharma who alleged that IIT director Ajit Kumar Chaturvedi, Manish Shrikhande, dean of IIT’s Sponsored Research & Industrial Consultancy (SRIC), Jitendra Dimri, assistant registrar (SRIC), Dhiraj Upadhyay, junior assistant (SRIC) and Rajesh Kumar clerk (SRIC), committed financial fraud worth crores for over more than a decade by siphoning off the money of grants and other aids to their bank accounts.
Sonika Srivastava, in-charge media cell, IIT Roorkee, in a media statement on behalf of the institute said, “The matter is already being investigated by the police and the institute had already lodged a complaint against one of the accused Upadhyay in June this year for siphoning off Rs 1.05 crore to his bank account.”
“The police have also questioned the accused assistant registrar in its probe. The institute would continue to extend its full support to the police in the investigation,” she said.
Manipal Sharma alleged that, before getting retired on July 31 this year after 37 years of service at the IIT, he raised the issue before the administrators for taking action on it but they didn’t pay any heed to it, instead behaved improperly against him. It was then he filed the petition before the court to seek action. HT has a copy of the three-page order.
The Roorkee Kotwali police station, which has been directed by the court to register a case, is, however, yet to register a case.
Rajesh Shah, station house officer, Roorkee Kotwali said, “The order was received from the court on Thursday. However, we are yet to register a case as we are examining the order. The directions would be followed soon.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BJP leaders said that the CM left for Delhi with a few party MLAs and would apprise the central leadership of the political situation in the state
- Police took Harswroop into custody and questioned him, which led to the recovery of the child’s body, stuffed in a bag from his room.
- Congress MLA Pritam objected to the curtailing of Haridwar Maha Kumbh to one month on the pretext of Coronavirus pandemic.
- The declaration was made by the CM in his budgetary speech on March 4 under which the new division would comprise four districts.
- Several studies in the past month have said that the tragedy was because of man-made reasons.
- It was speculated that several ministers were not consulted before declaring Gairsain as the third administrative division of the state.
- The report by Kathmandu-based ICIMOD, which was released on Friday, found that a crack had formed prior to the incident at the site where the rock detachment led to a rockslide from the Raunti peak.
- The CM said, "There have been incidents of family disputes between couples that go to court during which women face issues with maintenance."
- The budget contains the vision of a self-reliant Uttarakhand which is essential to the realisation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's vision of a self-reliant India, Uttarakhand CM said.
- Chief wildlife warden can declare any wild animal as a threat to human life and as such fit to be destroyed under the Wildlife Protection Act.