Mother jumps into dam to save 7-year-old son in Uttarakhand, drowns
A 30-year-old Uttarakhand woman drowned while trying to save her seven-year-old son who fell off a boat in the midst of Gularbhoj dam in US Nagar district on Thursday, said police
JC Tiwari, in-charge of Gularbhoj police outpost, said, “The woman was returning to her village Gularbhoj along with her husband and son by a boat after visiting their farm on the other side. The boat was old and was carrying over a dozen people, their bikes and firewood. It was overloaded.”
Tiwari said when the boat reached the middle of the dam, part of its side suddenly broke off and in the ensuing commotion, 7-year-old Himanshu fell into dam waters.
“Seeing this, the woman immediately jumped into the water to rescue her son. But she struggled and drowned. Her husband tried to rescue her but failed. However, he managed to rescue the child.”
The woman has been identified as Anjli Dogra, wife of Raju Dogra, a resident of Colony 2 in Gularbhoj area, said police. Gularbhoj dam is located 28 km from US Nagar district headquarters. Villagers who reside on the other side of the dam depend on boats to cross it.
The couple had boarded the boat to come to Gularbhoj after visiting their farm.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- She was nominated to symbolically take over as the DM of the district for a day.
- So far, deaths of hens have been reported from poultry farms in Udham Singh Nagar and Tehri Garhwal districts.
- The SOP was issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on January 22 but was made public on Sunday.
- Chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat said nominating Goswami as the chief minister of child assembly for a day was a matter of pride.
- Goswami wants to give her inputs on the agriculture sector to the state government while she is holds the chief minister's post.
- Kumbh Mela office in charge said the festival is being organised on the lines of the Odisha Sand Art Festival.
- So far 6,119 health workers have been vaccinated in the state. A total of 1,882 health workers were vaccinated on Tuesday in 34 sessions across the state.
- The visitors are commending the concept of the cafe and sharing their tales with of heartbreak.
- Uttarakhand BJP leaders and ministers have been asked to tour their respective districts and areas and interact with party workers and people there.
- This decision was taken after authorities found drivers talking on the phone during safaris or going too close to the wildlife for making videos.
- A labourer carrying an axe rushed to save the elderly woman and attacked the boar. While the boar succumbed to severe injuries, the woman could not be saved.
- Uttarakhand government has requested the Centre for extra vaccines for Mahakumbh fair.
- Thermal screening has also been made compulsory for hotels, dharamshalas, ashrams, guest houses and lodges before they check in pilgrims and tourists.