Ropeway to be built between Ranibagh- Nainital to ease flow of tourists to the lake city
The authorities have envisaged the plan of constructing a ropeway from Ranibagh in Haldwani to Jyolikote to Nainital covering an aerial distance of around 14 kilometres. Tourism minister Satpal Maharaj had announced of connecting Nainital with a ropeway system during a programme some months ago.
The ropeway would save time and money of the tourists who have to face traffic jams en route to the famed lake city. According to the Nainital police, the city witnesses rush of more than one lakh tourists on weekends during the summer holidays. Around three lakh vehicles are registered in Nainital district as per the figures of the Regional Transport Office (RTO).
The Central Building Research Institute (CBRI) has been entrusted the task of making the Detailed Project Report (DPR) of the ropeway. A joint inspection by the district administration and the Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam has been conducted around the spots that would be used as the launch pad as well as the finishing point at Hanumangarhi in Nainital.
The funds for this project would be provided by the Uttarakhand Tourism Development Board (UTDB), an agency of the state government that promotes tourism in Uttarakhand. Trilok Singh Martoliya, general manager of Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam said that the inspection of various spots has been completed. “The ropeway project has been envisaged both for easing traffic to Nainital as well as boosting tourism to the lake town,” said the GM. Martoliya also said that the CBRI would conduct the survey and other formalities in the next two months after which it would make the DPR for approval.
Additional district magistrate Nainital Harvir Singh said that the ropeway project would be a reality in the near future. “The survey will also test the points for the installation of pillars, seismic spots if any and the pathway to be taken,” said Singh. He also pointed out that the ropeway would also come in handy during emergencies for providing rescue and relief materials.
It is noteworthy to mention that a ropeway has also been envisaged between Dehradun and Mussoorie that would start from Purkul village, but not much work has been done on the project till now.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The boy's link with the online platform came to light after police officials went through his mobile phone on Wednesday.
- The initiative, Bhuli (sister in Garhwali language) Kanyadan, is the brainchild of Devprayag station house officer.
- Three control rooms will also be made at three UP’s three districts of Muzaffarnagar, Bijnor and Saharanpur bordering Uttarakhand for effective sharing of information and intelligence.
- The HC found that the civil judge had separated the criminal case in his court filed against the accused without there being any valid reason.
- The demand comes months after the Centre decided to discontinue the Centre for Glaciology project in Uttarakhand.
- Among the six bodies, five were found on Saturday late night while one was found on Sunday morning.
- The men belonged to Ratanpura village under Bazpur police station and were on their way to Garjiya temple of Ramnagar in Nainital.
- The leopard dragged her to the forest area and ate her body parts. Her head was found severed from her body.
- HT spoke to some of the main rescuers and officers on the frontline who are leading and coordinating the search and rescue operations.