54-year-old businessman killed in fire in Delhi’s Brahmapuri
A.K. Singla, deputy commissioner of police (northeast), said the family was sleeping in their fourth floor residence when the fire broke out around 2.30 am.delhi Updated: Jan 17, 2018 23:20 IST
A 54-year-old businessman was killed while three of his family members were injured when a fire broke out in a four-storey building in northeast Delhi’s Brahmapuri early Wednesday morning.
According to the police, Satpal Swaroop died of suffocation while his wife Jayshree (50) and two minor daughters, Pooja and Himanshi, sustained burns.
A.K. Singla, deputy commissioner of police (northeast), said the family was sleeping in their fourth floor residence when the fire broke out around 2.30 am.
“The fire started in the house of Ramesh Singh on the third floor. While Singh and his family managed to escape, the fire engulfed Swaroop’s house before they could react,” said Singla.
A call was made to the police and the fire control room and three fire tenders along with firemen and police team reached the spot.
Swaroop’s brother Kishan Chand said that his brother died trying to save his family members and stayed inside till the time all of them made a safe exit.
Police, however, said that it was a combined effort of the fire department and the police who helped the victims trapped in the house and moved them to hospital. At a nearby hospital, Swaroop was declared brought dead while his family members, who have received 15 to 20 per cent burns, are being treated.
Police said prima facie the fire started due to a short circuit at Singh’s residence. Soon it spread as the house was full of combustible material such as clothes stocked by Singh, a garment trader.
“We have booked Singh for causing death by negligence and are probing the matter further,” said Singla.
Swaroop ran a business of property dealing and motor parts. Of late, he had closed his shop and was sustaining on the money sent by his son, who runs a grocery shop in Gandhi Nagar. He had returned a few hours before the fire mishap, on Tuesday night, from Ludhiana where he had gone for a personal trip.
First Published: Jan 17, 2018 23:20 IST