Another Bawana averted: Major fire at factory and its warehouse in Delhi’s Mundkadelhi Updated: Jan 25, 2018 22:44 IST
The fire department deployed 30 fire tenders and more than 90 firefighters to tame the flames and stop them from engulfing the adjacent factory buildings. (PTI)
At least 150 workers had a narrow escape after a major fire broke out in a synthetic and artificial leather manufacturing factory and its warehouse in outer Delhi’s Mundka on Thursday morning.
No casualties were reported as the workers managed to vacate the buildings in time.
A short-circuit in electrical wiring in the factory was suspected to be the primary cause of the fire, which later spread to the warehouse.
The fire department deployed 30 fire tenders and more than 90 firefighters to tame the flames and stop them from engulfing the adjacent factory buildings. The firefighters took over eight hours to douse the fire, even as the cooling operation continued till late in the night.
Atul Garg, chief fire officer, said the factory as well as the godown belong to the same owner. The two buildings, however, are located opposite to each other but divided by a lane.
Garg said synthetic and artificial leather rolls used for making insole of shoes and purses were manufactured in the factory located at Swaran Park in Mundka.
The godown was used to store the manufactured products and package the items.
The fire control room was informed at 9.25 am about the fire and 25 fire tenders were initially dispatched. Five more fire trucks were stationed later in the day, said a fire official.
According to Garg, the fire originated from the ground floor of the factory and the presence of inflammable materials helped the fire spread within minutes. About 80 workers who were inside vacated the building. About 70 workers in the godown also moved out.
“The fire spread out and through an electric wire, reached a transformer installed in a lane outside the building. The transformer too caught fire and the flames spread to the warehouse and destroyed synthetic and rexine materials stored there,” said Garg. Property worth lakhs of rupees was destroyed in the blaze.
A case in connection with the incident was registered.
First Published: Jan 25, 2018 22:43 IST