Delhi: Cellphone robber injures himself, blames victim to escape

After being nabbed, Nazim allegedly used a sharp object to stab himself in his left arm.

delhi Updated: Sep 07, 2018 03:08 IST
Shiv Sunny
Shiv Sunny
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Cellphone robber,Delhi Police,Robber
Nazim was eventually arrested despite his best efforts.(HT)

A 20-year-old man on Monday night robbed and injured the driver of a transporter and then inflicted a wound on himself in order to try and wriggle his way out after being chased and nabbed.

The incident was reported from Baba Haridas Nagar near Dwarka. The accused, identified as Nazim, was finally arrested by a police team that arrived at the spot.

Police said the transporter, Satish Kumar, on Monday around 9.30pm noticed one of his drivers, 20-year-old Rajesh Kumar, bleeding from his head on the roadside near his home in Baba Haridas Nagar.

Anto Alphonse, deputy commissioner of police (Dwarka), said that Rajesh told Satish that he had been robbed of his mobile phone and cash by three men who used a brick to attack him.

When Satish got to know that the robbery had occurred moments earlier, he urged Rajesh to accompany him in his car on a search for the assailants.

Soon after, they spotted three men running on the road, who Rajesh identified as the trio who had robbed him . Satish and Rajesh then got down from their car and gave chase on foot. They managed nab 20-year-old Nazim, while his friends managed to escape.

However, after being nabbed Nazim allegedly used a sharp object to stab himself in his left arm, said the DCP. Holding on to his bleeding arm, Nazim then began blaming Satish for assaulting him and cried for help.

“Satish was taken by surprise. He dialled the police control room and decided to rush Nazim to a nearby hospital. While they were driving towards the hospital, Nazim told Satish that his two associates were standing near an eatery. He urged Satish to nab them too,” said the DCP. But the moment Satish and Rajesh got off their car, Nazim and his aides got together and thrashed the duo.

They were later rescued by a police team which arrived at the spot in response to Satish’s call.

Police later rushed an injured Rajesh and Nazim to a hospital. While Rajesh was referred to DDU Hospital for further treatment for his head injury, police questioned Satish and Nazim to establish the sequence of events, said the DCP.

Police then went on to arrest Nazim and later nabbed his associates from their hideout. Rajesh’s robbed mobile phone was recovered from the accused.

First Published: Sep 07, 2018 03:08 IST