BRT corridor will stay: Centre
A day after the Comptroller and Auditor General slammed the Bus Rapid Transit Corridor as ill-conceived and faulty, the Centre strongly defended the project in Parliament.
Minister of State for Urban Development Ajay Maken told Rajya Sabha the number of accidents on the stretch had come down after its construction.
“Delhi government has informed that though a few accidents have taken place, the total number of accidents on the stretch has come down after the construction of the BRT due to segregation of traffic,” Maken said.
Quoting a study by consultant DIMTS, Maken said cyclists, pedestrians and bus users have praised the corridor
“A socio economic study on the corridor was carried out by DIMTS. The pedestrians, cyclists and bus users have praised the corridor and strongly advocated its replication to encourage use of Non Motorised Vehicles and public transport,” he said.
“Significant reduction in travel time for buses has been observed, accidents have also come down,” Maken said.
He ruled out any rethinking on the project and said detailed engineering designs have been approved on two corridors.
Delhi transport minister Arvinder Singh Lovely also said on Thursday the government would go ahead with the next phase of the works.
Speaking to Hindustan Times, he said the BRT was the answer to Delhi’s transportation woes and there was no replacement for it.
“There can be no replacement for the BRT as a concept. Buses are the only way out for us. This is a new project and there may be some shortcomings here and there. I will ensure that the new BRT corridors are good both for motorists and bus users,” said Lovely. He said that while he was yet to go through the report, he was open to any positive suggestions.
She was married when was only 2.5 years old but her dreams to become a teacher gave her strength to break the shackles of child marriage. Now after 18 years, Samta is a free bird after annulment of child marriage by a family court in Jodhpur. She was married in 2003 to a young man from Osian tehsil, when she was two-and-a-half years old.
A 24-year-old biker was mowed down by a trailer at Mankoli in Bhiwandi on Wednesday night. The incident occurred near the bridge at Mankoli Naka when Shah was on his way to Thane. A passer-by informed the police about the incident. The police admitted Shah to Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital, where he was declared dead before arrival.
Karnataka chief minister Basavaraj Bommai on Thursday said he spoke to district deputy commissioners regarding the torrential rains, especially in coastal districts, and assured that all necessary precautions had been taken. The India Meteorological Department has predicted heavy rain along the Karnataka coast - in Kodagu, Dakshina Kannada, Udupi and Uttara Kannada. Schools and colleges in Alur, Arakalagud and Sakleshpura also remained shut. The state's revenue minister R Ashoka, who is in Kodagu district has also distributed relief cheques to those affected.
The High Court of Karnataka has been informed that as many as 10 lakh children below the age of 14 in the state are out of schools and anganawadis. The survey report was submitted to the court by 'amicus curiae' in a public interest litigation senior advocate K N Phaneendra. The report says 15,338 children aged between six and 14 are out of school across Karnataka.
Film producer Sandeep Singh on Thursday filed a police complaint after a Facebook user issued death threats to him saying he would be killed the way popular Punjabi singer and politician Sidhu Moosewala was murdered. Sandeep Singh, known for producing movies like Mary Kom, Aligarh, Sarabjit, Bhoomi, PM Narendra Modi and Jhund, founded the film production company Legend Studios in 2015. On Wednesday, he received threats on Facebook from a user named, Krishna Singh Rajput.