Can’t ask for water pipeline map, rules CIC
Can you ask for the map of an underground pipeline (site plan) for your area from the Delhi Jal Board? No, says the Central Information Commission (CIC) citing security reasons.
A Delhi resident's request under the RTI Act for obtaining a map of his area's pipelines from the DJB was rejected by the CIC last week saying it can affect the security of the area.
Fed up with repeated water woes, Dwarka Sector-3, Madhu Vihar resident R S Solanki had filed an RTI application with the DJB asking for, among other things, a copy of the site plan for the supply pipeline and reasons for situations where the pipeline could not be laid as per the site plan.
In his first application in May 2009, he had also asked for a copy of the completion plan if it was complete.
The DJB's Public Information Officer (PIO) did provide copies of certain documents but owing to "unsatisfactory and incomplete" replies, ultimately approached the Central Information Commissioner (CIC) in October.
CIC Shailesh Gandhi upheld the PIO's decision - and apprehension on the grounds that "disclosing the map of the water pipe lines may lead to tampering or affecting the security of the area and the water supply."
However, Gandhi said while the entire area’s map cannot be provided, the information seeker’s purpose needs to be served and (hence) Solanki be informed in which streets (of his area) water supply lines have not been laid and the reasons thereof.
The Commissioner, in his decision on December 23, has directed the PIO to provide the relevant information to the appellant before January 5.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Heavy security has been deployed near the Red Fort where a group of protestors climbed to the ramparts of the fort and unfurled flags yesterday.
- Metro services were shut all across central, north and west Delhi yesterday after the farmers’ protest in the national capital turned violent
- A street hawker, Muhammed Nadeem, travels to most parts of Delhi-NCR.
- One of the police personnel who has a head injury is “critical” and is admitted to the intensive care unit.
- The farmers were not supposed to be at Red Fort at all. The monument did not fall along the pre-decided routes the three rallies were to take.
- Following the violence at Central Delhi’s ITO, East Delhi and several other parts, Delhi’s borders in East Delhi as well as the DND was briefly blocked.