Filthy village shocks many; No big deal: OC
Faced with criticism of “unliveable conditions” in the Commonwealth Games Village, the Organising Committee (OC) came up with an extraordinary response. Replying to the charge that the flats in the Village were unclean, with dusty rooms and filthy toilets, OC secretary general Lalit Bhanot said “hygiene standards were different for different people”.
Clearly unhappy with the OC, Games Federation CEO Mike Hooper said “a lot of work needed to be done”. The OC has 36 hours to clean up its act — athletes start arriving Thursday.
“New Zealand and Scotland have been the most critical. Though they may have ruled out pulling out, their statements were strongly worded and must be taken seriously,” Hooper said.
Hooper, however, refused to speculate about the possible cancellation of the Games.
The OC said there was no such threat. “The Games will go ahead as scheduled,” Bhanot said. But the CGF is clearly not leaving it to chance or the OC. With less than 48 hours before the athletes start checking in, CGF chief Mike Fennel has written to the Cabinet Secretary on Monday. “Fennell has taken up the matter with the authorities when things were not moving in the right direction,” Hooper said. Since Thursday, when the delegates arrived and first inspected the village, they were told that it will be sorted out, but nothing has been done since.
“The athletes start arriving on the 23rd and there is a lot that needs to be done,” said Hooper.
“Changing around accommodation blocks will not help. The facilities that have been promised must be delivered. That is not the case at the moment,” he said.
Hooper also said that Fennel will arrive in the Capital on the 23rd, earlier than scheduled, to assess the situation, although by that stage it might be too late for any major work.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Experts, however, attributed the reduction to the “unprecedented conditions” brought about by the Covid-19 lockdown and called for reforms to curb pollution by local and regional factors.
- The L-G also noted that the economy of the Capital shrunk by 5.6% due to the pandemic.
- Transport experts say the Metro ridership may have also suffered on account of the free bus rides for women scheme
- According to the outcome budget, education was among the sectors where the government was able to achieve maximum targets.
- In the outcome budget, which was also presented on Monday, the government said that 40% of the work on the underpass was completed until December last year.
- There were 87.8 lakh Covid-19 tests conducted in the city till December 31, 2020.
- On the occasion, the Delhi Police also honoured 22 women personnel for their remarkable efforts beyond the call of duty during the Covid-19 pandemic period
- A police team immediately rushed to the spot and found that the body had been buried in a mound of sand that had been unloaded there for construction work at the media centre.
- The two who managed perfect scores were Pravar Kataria, 17, a resident of Vikaspuri and Ranjim Prabal Das, 18, a resident of Janakpuri.
- Take a look at these series of paintings near the Rose Garden in Sector 15
- This is the first time since 2010-11 that the per capita income in the country’s capital has shrunk.
- The series of events leading to the Ariz Khan’s conviction in the Batla House encounter case
- Delhi reported 312 and 321 new Covid-19 cases on Friday and Saturday respectively. Authorities in the national capital were advised by the health ministry to keep a check on the number of rising cases after the daily infections reported on March 5 and March 6 went above 300.