'Killer' Bluelines not to ply for 2 days: Govt
The Delhi Govt takes a tough stand against Blueline buses in the Capital, after a series of accidents claim precious lives.Updated: Jul 20, 2007 14:06 IST
Taking a tough line against Blueline buses involved in a series of accidents in the Capital, the Delhi government on Friday decided that they will be not be allowed to ply for the next two days.
Blueline operators have been asked to ensure in the two days that they confirm to all norms like installing speed governors.
Calling a meeting to discuss the situation arising out of the involvement of blueline buses in accidents, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit issued directions that the buses should not be allowed to ply for two days beginning tomorrow.
"In view of accidents due to Blueline buses, we feel it has become necessary to take stringent action against them," Dikshit said after the meeting.
She said private bus operators will have to ensure that the buses follow rules and regulations laid down for them in order to continue plying their vehicles.
The meeting was attended by Transport Minister Haroon Yusuf, Chief Secretary R Narayanswami, Transport Commissioner R Chandramohan, DTC Chairman Anshu Prakash and other senior officials.
The government will again review the situation pertaining to Blueline buses on Wednesday.
During this year, 64 people have been killed in accidents involving Blueline buses. Last year, the total figure was 100.
In view of the Blueline accidents, Delhi Government along with Traffic Police launched a crackdown against the bus service, impounding buses and cancelling their permits.
The latest accident involving a Blueline bus happened yesterday, in which a 40-year-old man was knocked down in West Delhi.
First Published: Jul 20, 2007 13:55 IST