HT Image
HT Image

Man kills friend's child for money

Kidnapped, throttled 10-yr-old; still asked for Rs 1.5 cr ransom, settled for 33 lakh, reports Vijaita Singh.
Hindustan Times | By Vijaita Singh, New Delhi
UPDATED ON OCT 18, 2007 12:32 AM IST

Vipul Kansal would have turned 11 on Tuesday. But a day before that, the Class IV student of GD Goenka School was kidnapped from outside his Rohini home in northwest Delhi for ransom. He was bundled into the boot of a car and killed that very day.

His body was found on Wednesday in a roadside pit on the GT Karnal Road near Sonepat. A few hours earlier, the police arrested the kidnapper, a friend of the boy's father who wanted the money to save his business.

The police said Siddharth Jaitley killed Vipul within two hours of kidnapping him but kept making ransom calls to the boy's family. "Siddharth Jaitley kidnapped Vipul from outside the gates of Neelkanth Apartments in Sector-13, Rohini, at 2.45 pm on Monday when the boy got off his schoolbus," said Manish Agarwal, DCP (north-west). He said the kidnapper had demanded Rs 1.5 crore. The family paid Rs 33 lakh but could not save the child.

The police said Jaitley made a call from his mobile phone within five minutes of kidnapping Vipul. "The boy's mother answered the call. Jaitley told her that her son has been kidnapped and demanded a ransom of Rs 1.5 crore. Initially, the family thought it was a prank. But soon they realised it was genuine," said DCP Agarwal. "For first few hours, they negotiated with the kidnapper. They informed the police around 6.30 pm."

Vipul's father Parvinder Kansal, who owns a pharmacy business in Chandni Chowk, is shocked. "Jaitley should be hanged. He was known to our family and he killed my son just for money," he said. "All this while we thought that my son would return home after we paid the ransom."

DCP Agarwal said: "Jaitley kidnapped the boy, put him inside the boot of the car and drove towards his godown in Samaipur Badli. He made the boy talk to his parents and again put him inside the boot of the car. A little later, he realised the child had fainted. He then smothered him to death out of fear."

Jaitley returned from Sonepat to his Old Rajinder Nagar house on Monday night. "On Tuesday, he again called the boy's father and settled for Rs 33 lakh. He told them that Vipul was in Meerut. So the boy's father left for Meerut. Vipul's uncle went to Zakhira flyover with the cash on Tuesday evening but no one turned up," the DCP added. Jaitley then asked the boy's uncle to come to Connaught Place but changed his mind. Finally, he asked the uncle to throw the bag from Ranjit Singh flyover and wait for his call. The family did as told. "When he did not return the boy, we raided his house and arrested him. He confessed he had killed the boy," said Agarwal.

Story Saved