Budget 2019: Government to launch ‘Study in India’ initiative to target foreign students
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said on Friday that three Indian institutions - two IITs and IISc - now figure in top 200 institutions in world university rankings and the government will start a programme ‘Study in India’ to encourage foreign students to study in Indian universities.
Presenting the Union Budget, Sitharaman said that regulatory system in higher education will be reformed and a Higher Education Commission will be set up.
She said no Indian institute figured in top 200 of world university rankings five years back.
“Concerted efforts have been made to boost education standards. Three institutes - two IITs and IISc (Indian Institute of Science Bengaluru) are in top 200. We will continue making concerted efforts,” she said.
She said Rs 400 crore has been earmarked for Rs 2019-2020 under the head ‘World-class institutions’.
“It is more than three times the revised estimates,” she said.
The minister said India has the potential to become the hub of education and the `Study in India’ programme will focus on bringing foreign students to the country.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Less than ten days after the University of Mumbai released a circular asking colleges to conduct exams for first year post graduate batches by March 10, the varsity released another circular postponing the deadline to March 30, giving colleges a breather.
- The Bihar government on Tuesday admitted in the state assembly that the enrolment of students in the government and government-aided schools had declined by 40 lakh in 2018-19 compared to 2014-15.
- The recruitment examinations include the West Bengal Civil Service exam, West Bengal Audit, and Accounts Service exam, and West Bengal Civil Service main exam 2020.
- AIIMS INI CET July 2021 Session: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the INI-CET 2021 examination online at aiimsexams.org on or before March 31, 2021, until 5 pm.
- Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) has released the hall ticket or admit card for MPSC State Services Prelims exam 2020.
- UP Board, will conduct its class 10 (high school) and class 12 (intermediate) examinations-2021 at 729 additional centres spread across the state as compared to last year owing to the Covid pandemic.
- FCI Recruitment 2021: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the positions online at fci.gov.in on or before March 31, 2021, until 4 pm.
- PSTCL Recruitment 2021: After the application process begins, interested and eligible candidates will be able to apply for the positions online at pstcl.org on or before March 26, 2021.