DU admission 2018: At minority colleges, a slight difference in admission process | education | Hindustan Times
  • Saturday, Jun 23, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 23, 2018-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

DU admission 2018: At minority colleges, a slight difference in admission process

DU admission 2018: The online registration process for St Stephen’s College will continue till June 10 — three days after the Delhi University closes its centralised registration process.

College admissions 2018 Updated: Jun 23, 2018 16:00 IST
Heena Kausar
Heena Kausar
Hindustan Times
DU admission 2018: Students applying to the four Sikh minority colleges, need not fill in a separate form. They have to fill the central registration form and choose the colleges as top priority ones.
DU admission 2018: Students applying to the four Sikh minority colleges, need not fill in a separate form. They have to fill the central registration form and choose the colleges as top priority ones.(HT file photo)

Students planning to apply to St Stephen’s College and Jesus and Mary College — two of the Christian minority institutes under Delhi University — will first have to fill the centralised DU registration form and then use the application number to fill a separate college form. However, those applying to the four Sikh minority colleges — Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Khalsa College, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Khalsa College of Commerce, Sri Guru Nanak Dev Khalsa College, and Mata Sundri College for Women — have it easier. They just need to fill the central registration form and choose the colleges as top priority ones.

The online registration process for St Stephen’s College will continue till June 10 — three days after the Delhi University closes its centralised registration process. At the college, 50 per cent of the seats are reserved for Christian candidates. The college has, in its prospectus, maintained that students should not include environmental education (ISC), fine arts, graphic design, painting, dance, music, physical education, home science, engineering drawing and other vocational subjects as part of their best-of-four marks.

Also read: DU admission 2018: Over three lakh aspirants have already registered

The college, which conducts separate written tests and interviews for admissions, has clearly stated that for BA (Hons), BA (programme) and BSc (Hons) mathematics, the weightage breakup is as follows: 85% on Class XII marks, 5% on written test and 10% on the interview. For admission into all BSc (Hons) courses besides mathematics, Class 12 marks will account for 85% and the personal interview will account for the rest 15%. For admission under sports quota, Class 12 marks account for 28%, sports trial will account for 42% and sports interview will account for 15%.

At Jesus and Mary College, however, the online registration process will close on June 7 — the same day as the university. As per the college website, an applicant can fill only one form and mark three preferences on it. The website also maintains that 50% of the seats are reserved for Christian candidates. At the college, having mathematics in Class 12 is compulsory for anyone planning to apply for BCom (Hons) and economics (Hons). Those applying for political science (Hons), history (Hons) and sociology (Hons) will get an advantage of 2% in best-of-four aggregate if they include the respective subject. The college has maintained that three academic subjects and English can be part of the best-of-four percentage aggregate. The college has released a list of 28 academic subjects that can be included in the ‘Best Four’. The same can be checked at http://www.jmc.ac.in/admissions/admissions-criteria/

Also read: DU admission 2018: First-ever Open Day held for postgraduate students

At the four Sikh minority colleges, 50% seats are reserved for Sikh candidates. These four colleges are maintained by the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC and hence 50% seats of the various courses offered by these institutes are reserved for students belonging to the Sikh community.

As per the admission guidelines uploaded on the university website, “Students seeking admission under Sikh minority category must furnish the “Minority Certificate” issued by DSGMC at the time of admission.”

Jaswinder Singh, principal SGTB Khalsa College, said the colleges don’t have additional admission rules. “We follow the same rules for admission process as set by the university. Applicants need to opt for Sikh Minority category while filling the centralised form. There is no separate college form,” he said.

Important dates:

Last date for filling online registration form for St Stephen’s College: June 10

Last date for filling online registration form for Jesus and Mary College: June 7

Last date for filling DU’s centralised online registration form: June 7