MAH-CET for biz schools: Re-test not possible, says DTE official
The Directorate of Technical Education (DTE), which conducts the Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MAH- CET) for business schools, has said that it is not possible to conduct the exams again as the admission process has already started.education Updated: Apr 09, 2015 21:03 IST
The Directorate of Technical Education (DTE), which conducts the Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MAH- CET) for business schools, has said that it is not possible to conduct the exams again as the admission process has already started.
Some aggrieved management aspirants who had appeared for the online MAH- CET had earlier filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the Bombay high Court seeking a re-test.
A DTE official, who did not want to be named, said that admission process in private B-schools and the application process for seats in government B-schools have already started . "In order to give complete relief to the students, we already formed an expert committee which deleted incorrect questions and came up with normalisation process. However, as the matter is sub judice, we will clarify our views to the court during the next hearing on April 15."
The court, on Wednesday, directed DTE not to take any action regarding B-school admissions till next hearing, which is scheduled on April 15.
The MAH-CET test was conducted on March 14 and 15 in four slots. After the complaints made by aspirants about errors, the DTE formed an expert committee to redress the issue of technical glitches.
However, the results (declared on March 25) based on a process called normalisation ( see below), was not accepted by some candidates, especially those who appeared for the exam during the first slot.
The aspirants who have approached the court are hopeful about re-test. "Approaching the court was the last option," said Bhagat Makhijani, a petitioner and an aspirant. "The court did not accept our demand to take suo motu action. Hence we filed a PIL. Earlier, we approached DTE officials several times and even wrote to the state higher education minister Vinod Tawde and the chief minister before the results could be announced. We hope that the court will come up with better decision when the matter will be heard on April 15 again," Makhijani added.
Timeline of the issue
*As the management aspirants witnessed several glitches during the online test conducted on March 14 and 15, the DTE office, which conducts the exam, was flooded with the complaints from the students on March 16.
*According to the candidates who complained to the DTE, the glitches included repetition of options, spelling errors, problems with an interface, power failure and incomplete questions.
*After the complaints, the DTE formed an expert committee to redress the issue of technical glitches.
*The DTE deleted incorrect questions and had suggested that every student's marks will be equated to 200 and then be converted into a percentile score based on the top scores in each slot.
*The results for the test were declared on March 25.
*The solution called normalisation was not accepted by some of the candidates, especially to those who appeared for the exam during the first slot.
*After results were announced DTE on its website uploaded details of normalisation process and updated raw and equated scores and percentile of individual students in each slot.
*This did not satisfy candidates, especially those who appeared the exam during the first slot. Around 200 candidates met DTE officials on March 30 seeking re-test.
*On March 30, a group of aggrieved students approached the high court seeking suo motu action asking DTE to re conduct exams. However, the court did not admit it.
*On April 6, Bhagat Makhijani, a candidate filed a PIL at the Bombay high court seeking re-test.
First Published: Apr 09, 2015 20:32 IST