UP CM Yogi Adityanath to set up university named after Jat king in Aligarh
The Yogi Adityanath government in Uttar Pradesh will set up a state university named after Raja Mahendra Pratap Singh in Aligarh.
Raja Mahendra Pratap Singh had donated land for the construction of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) and BJP leaders had earlier raised a demand that the AMU be renamed after the Jat king.
However, to avoid any political controversy on the issue, the Yogi government has decided to build a new university in his name.
The Yogi government had passed a resolution to this effect in a Cabinet meeting and an ordinance was subsequently issued on Tuesday.
Deputy Chief Minister Dinesh Sharma, who also holds the higher education portfolio, said, “Now that the ordinance has been tabled, work on the university will begin soon.”
The Yogi Adityanath government’s move to set up the university named after Raja Mahendra Pratap Singh is being seen as a move by the BJP to win over Jats who are slowly drifting away from the party.
This was evident in the UP Lok Sabha election where the BSP scored over BJP in western UP and then in the recent Haryana election where the BJP failed to secure a majority though it formed the government with the support of the fledgling JJP.
(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- UPSC Combined Geo-Scientist interview schedule 2020: Candidates who have cleared the main examination can check the UPSC Combined Geo-Scientist interview schedule online at upsc.gov.in.
- RBI JE admit card 2021: Candidates who have registered for the RBI JE recruitment examination 2021 can download their admit card online at opportunities.rbi.org.in.
- FCI Recruitment 2021: After the application process begins, interested and eligible candidates will be able to apply for the positions online at fci.gov.in on or before March 31, 2021, until 4 pm.
- RBI Assistant Manager Recruitment 2021: Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the positions online at rbi.org.in on or before March 10, 2021, until 6 pm.
- The first stage of UPSC civil services exam, prelims, is objective in nature, the second stage mains is a written examination and the third stage interview is a verbal evaluation process.