At 36, Hrithik still Bollywood's 'Greek god'
While he became an overnight star with Kaho Na Pyaar Hain, his career has indeed been a roller coaster ride. He starred in Khalid Mohammed's Fiza but it failed to repeat the success of his debut film. Later Subhash Ghai's Yaadein, Yash Raj Films' Mujhse Dosti Karoge!, Arjun Sablok's Na Tum Jaano Na Hum and Vikram Bhatt's Aap Mujhe Achche Lagne Lage failed to make an impact at the box office and were declared flops.
But he bounced back with the super successful Koi...Mil Gaya in 2003 where he played a mentally disabled young man. It was the highest grosser of the year and won him many awards.
"Hrithik Roshan dominates the show and packs in a power-packed performance. The role of a mentally challenged person is no cakewalk, but the actor takes to it like a fish takes to water. He manages to pull off the zero to hero routine exceptionally well. As an actor, he scales dizzier heights with this splendid performance," film critic Taran Adarsh had said when the film released.
The actor then went on to give blockbusters like Krrish, Dhoom 2 and Jodhaa Akbar.
Filmmaker Subhash Ghai told IANS: "I have seen Hrithik grow from a newcomer to a big star today. He has achieved his stardom sheerly on his hard work and passion for his films.
"He takes interest in each department of filmmaking and keeps inspiring his directors all the time. Hrithik is electricity in front of the camera and puts in lot of dedication in his work. I love him for that and wish him greater success in future too."
According to film critic Omar Qureshi, Hrithik is a perfectionist.
"I know Hrithik since the time he was a thin boy. The very fact that he took a year's time to work on himself before doing his first film proves how dedicated he is," Qureshi told IANS.
"He is a perfectionist and a very hardworking actor. The best thing about him is that he makes his characters look so convincing. He works so well on that.
"But I'm sure his fans have one complaint from him. They never get to see enough of the actor since he does just one or two films in a year," he added.
After just a cameo last year in Zoya Akhtar's Luck By Chance, the actor will be seen in the much-awaited Kites in May.
Described as a truly international film, Kites tells the story of a young con-man who lives life in Las Vegas, always ready to make fast money in any way possible.
Directed by Anurag Basu and co-produced by his father Rakesh Roshan and Reliance BIG Pictures, Hrithik will be seen sharing screen space with Mexican beauty Barbara Mori, Kangana Ranaut and Kabir Bedi. The film will be released in two versions -- Indian and international.
"Kites" is being touted as the biggest film of the year.
"I am desperately waiting for Kites. I love Hrithik and I think he is nothing less than a greek god," said Stuti Sharma, a 21-year-old fan.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Shabana Azmi has shared a picture of herself, smiling from ear-to-ear, on the one-year anniversary of a near-fatal car crash.
- The Amazon Prime Video web series Tandav has been at the centre of a controversy after it was alleged that certain scenes are offensive to certain communities. Here's everything you need to know about what happened.
- Tandav creator Ali Abbas Zafar has issued an apology on behalf of the cast and crew of the Amazon web series, after an FIR was lodged against several people involved in the show for hurting religious sentiments.
- Vikas Gupta took to Twitter to share 'proof' of Aly Goni's homophobia, which Jasmin Bhasin didn't take quietly.
- Remo D'Souza, who recently had a health scare, was spotted out and about town with friend Aamir Ali. Watch a video here.
- Citing the examples of Deepika Padukone, Kangana Rananut and Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu has said that it is 'tedious' to find male stars to do female-led films.
- Mira Rapjut has shared new photos and videos from her Goa vacation with husband, actor Shahid Kapoor. Check them out here.
- Kangana Ranaut shared a video of Jiah Khan's sister levelling serious allegations of sexual harassment against Sajid Khan. She suggested that he has the 'full support' of the 'mafia' in the film industry.
- Actor Minissha Lamba has said that there is no longer any stigma attached to separation, and if a relationship isn't working, it is advisable to part ways amicably.
- Shah Rukh Khan jokingly took offence as the official Twitter handle of Kolkata Knight Riders declared Juhi Chawla’s husband Jay Mehta as the 'most affable gentleman'.