Bollywood goes all out with a Bernie Sanders meme fest
It was not only Joe Biden, President of the United States of America and Vice-President Kamala Harris, who stole the show at the US Presidential inauguration on January 20. US Senator from Vermont, Bernie Sanders, clicked sitting on a chair with his mask and mittens braving the chilly weather in Washington, became the talk of the town even more than the performances of Grammy-winning musician Lady Gaga and singer-actor Jennifer Lopez.
It triggered a meme fest with Bollywood celebs joining the gang. The latest is actor Sidharth Malhotra, who shared two pictures on Instagram. The first shows him seated on a pink chair, the other has him standing next to a photoshopped image of Sanders on the chair that was captioned, ‘Because Sanskar...#berniesanders’. Talking about it, Malhotra laughs, “I enjoy innovative memes and when the Bernie Sanders memes began to take over the internet, I decided to join in!”
Actor Gajraj Rao, who tweeted a still from Badhaai Ho (2018) with Sanders’ picture, says, “When the image from the inauguration appeared, it was so unexpected from an otherwise serious occasion that, that it immediately made us all smile. It’s important that we always maintain a sense of humour about our daily lives, and I’d like to thank everyone who participated for spreading some much needed cheer.”
Brand strategist Harsh Bijnoor feels that it is the responsibility of social media managers to scout for such opportunities. He says, “The task of a social media manager is to hunt for opportunities and they need to make the [celeb’s account] relevant, original and innovative. The idea is to switch to social media into a star. The star in this case was Bernie Sanders.” To this, brand guru Jagdeep Kapoor adds, “It is a way to stay ‘on trend’ more than being relevant. Thanks to instant access to technology and international news, jokes are global too!”
Later, as Sanders appeared on American television show, Late Night with Seth Meyers, he responded to the viral picture and said, “I was just sitting there trying to keep warm, trying to pay attention to what was going on”.
Here are all the memes shared by Bollywood celebs:
Interact with author/sanchita_kalra.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As Karisma Kapoor showed off her figure in a new Instagram post, Manish Malhotra and Sophie Choudry were reminded of her Dil To Pagal Hai days.
Vineet Kumar Singh: My career has been built from one-two scenes; I have played the role of a dead body too
- Kangana Ranaut on Monday shared photos of her partially demolished Mumbai office, and said that her 'heart broke again' after she visited the property.
- Ankita Lokhande, in an Instagram live, urged Sushant Singh Rajput's fans to stop blaming her and said that no one knows her side of the story. She also revealed that she went through depression.
- Sanjay Dutt introduced fans to his new look in a family portrait shared by his wife Maanayata Dutt. He could be seen sporting bleached hair in the photo.
- Priyanka Chopra said that while she gets a lot of love and protectiveness from her South Asian fans, there are a lot of people from the community who are negative about her.
- Actor Rahul Bose has reacted to Anil Kapoor's story about almost killing him while shooting a scene for Dil Dhadakne Do.
- 83 will explore the dynamic between Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev, actor Tahir Raj Bhasin has teased. Ranveer Singh plays Kapil in the upcoming sports drama, directed by Kabir Khan.
- After wearing a T-shirt with 'let's smash patriarchy' printed on it just ahead of her arrest last year, Rhea Chakraborty made a fresh statement with her clothes on Sunday, by wearing a hoodie with 'Man up' written on it.