Swara Bhasker says she does not believe in ‘bullying other people into’ having a political opinion
Swara Bhasker said that she does not believe that being an actor and having a political opinion are mutually exclusive. She said that as an artist and a citizen of India, she has the right to express her views about the goings-on in the country.
However, Swara feels that actors should not be bullied into having an opinion on everything. She said that people might have different opinions but spreading hate and justifying murder is unacceptable. She added that it is alright to not want to work with someone who spreads negativity.
Asked if she ever feels the need to tone down her political voice as an actor, Swara said having an opinion and being able to express it is what differentiates human beings from animals. “I don’t understand why being an actor and having an opinion are two oppositional things. Why can’t they go together? I am an artist, a citizen of this country. I pay taxes here. What happens in this country affects my work directly,” she told Filmfare.
Swara said that she may not agree with actors who remain silent on issues but does not judge them. “I don’t believe in bullying other people into having an opinion just because I have one. I really believe in the policy of ‘live and let live’,” she said.
“I judge people for breaking the law. You can have whatever opinion but you don’t justify murder, right? Don’t spread hate. All that is not okay. I have no problem working with anybody who does not agree with me. If you have, in the past, behaved in a manner where you have used your platform in a way that will harm someone else, especially some other community, then I am not okay with that. It has never happened before but it is okay if you don’t want to work with someone because you don’t want to bring that toxicity in your life,” she added.
On Friday, Swara’s new web series, Aapkey Kamrey Mein Koi Rehta Hai, dropped online. The horror-comedy, which also features Sumeet Vyas, Amol Parashar, Naveen Kasturia and Ashish Verma, is streaming on MX Player.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.
- Irrfan Khan's son Babil got a detailed message from the actor's The Namesake co-star Kal Penn who said that he wasn't sure how to get in touch with the family to share his love and gratitude.