Nandita's directorial debut set for October release
Actress Nandita Das, known for her power-packed performances in films like Earth and Fire, is now ready with her directorial debut Firaaq, based on the infamous 2002 Gujarat riots.
Slated for release in October, the film deals with the trauma of violence on human relationships after the riots.
"Firaaq deals with fear and prejudice that has entered into our mind. Firaaq is an Urdu word that means both separation and quest. I want to raise certain questions through this film. Some of them do not have easy answers," the actress told PTI.
Nandita hopes that her directorial debut, which narrates stories of five different people, will touch a chord with all generations.
She, however, is bothered by the perceptions that good films are only meant for critical acclaim, film festivals and not for box office success.
"My film doesn't come under any label. It is a very strong, emotional story which I wanted to tell for a long time. Labels affect our thoughts and create pre-conceived notions about a subject. That's what I do not want for my film," she said when asked whether the film will find success with regular Bollywood crowd.
"Why make such categories? I want students, office goers, workers, and people from every strata of society to watch Firaaq,'" she adds.
Actors like Nasseruddin Shah, Paresh Rawal, Dipti Naval, Raghubir Yadav and Sanjay Suri will be seen in lead roles in the film.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
Jonita Gandhi: Music industry is still male dominant and there’s a certain stereotyping that’s happening with women
Akshay Oberoi: Acting is not a sport or a game, you’re just competing with yourself and your last performance
Malavika Mohanan: I find it annoying when people put Bollywood at a higher pedestal than other film industries
- Called a 'truly clueless, uneducated, stupid human being' on Twitter, Kangana Ranaut said that her tweets are intended for 'high IQ people'.
- Rahul Vaidya wore a sweatshirt similar to one worn by Rubina Dilaik on Bigg Boss 14, as he took off on a romantic holiday with girlfriend Disha Parmar.
- Babil Khan got emotional as he stumbled upon old messages from his father, the late Irrfan Khan, while deleting unnecessary texts from his phone.
- Pavitra Punia had a quick response for the paparazzi, when they asked her why she wasn't accompanied by boyfriend Eijaz Khan at the airport.
- Hrithik Roshan, in an interview in 2017, said that he was at a good place in his life and was not thinking about getting married again. He was previously married to Sussanne Khan.
- Sumona Chakravarti has made the maximum use of limited space in her new Mumbai house, designed in Scandinavian style. Watch a video here.
- Parineeti Chopra reminisced about many of her firsts in a new video for Netflix India. Watch it here.
- Bipasha Basu and her husband, Karan Singh Grover, have been keeping their fans updated with their adventures in the Maldives. See their pictures here.