Nandita's directorial debut set for October release
Actress Nandita Das, known for her power-packed performances in films like Earth and Fire, is now ready with her directorial debut Firaaq, based on the infamous 2002 Gujarat riots.
Slated for release in October, the film deals with the trauma of violence on human relationships after the riots.
"Firaaq deals with fear and prejudice that has entered into our mind. Firaaq is an Urdu word that means both separation and quest. I want to raise certain questions through this film. Some of them do not have easy answers," the actress told PTI.
Nandita hopes that her directorial debut, which narrates stories of five different people, will touch a chord with all generations.
She, however, is bothered by the perceptions that good films are only meant for critical acclaim, film festivals and not for box office success.
"My film doesn't come under any label. It is a very strong, emotional story which I wanted to tell for a long time. Labels affect our thoughts and create pre-conceived notions about a subject. That's what I do not want for my film," she said when asked whether the film will find success with regular Bollywood crowd.
"Why make such categories? I want students, office goers, workers, and people from every strata of society to watch Firaaq,'" she adds.
Actors like Nasseruddin Shah, Paresh Rawal, Dipti Naval, Raghubir Yadav and Sanjay Suri will be seen in lead roles in the film.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Prakash Raj is the latest addition to the cast of Mani Ratnam's ambitious period drama Ponniyin Selvan. The two first worked together in Iruvar in 1997.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Kavita Kaushik took a dig at Rubina Dilaik while saying that she deserves to win the Bigg Boss 14 trophy. Earlier, Kavita walked out of the show after a nasty fight with Rubina.
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a review of Tandav, which said that Dimple Kapadia 'upstaged' her co-star Saif Ali Khan. While Twinkle praised Saif's performance as well, she said that 'mama bear is still the best'.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- Sidharth Shukla watched the first three episodes of Tandav and praised the show. He also gave a shout-out to Gauahar Khan and said that he loved her performance.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.