Prakash Jha is not planning Raajneeti sequel
Ajay Devgn has been confirmed as the lead. Another actor from the Raajneeti cast who stages a comeback in Aarakshan is Manoj Bajpai. Veeru bhaiyya admits though that he can never be as close to Jha as his favourite Devgn. “And there’s little I can do about this, except stand at a distance and feel envious about the chemistry they share,” jokes Bajpai.
Amitabh Bachchan, with whom, Jha says he’s been “talking about doing a film for a long time”, has been signed on for a significant part of a politician. Bajpai is as excited as his director, to be sharing screen space with Bachchan, with whom he co-starred in Aks (2001) nine years ago, and looking forward to chatting with him about his days in Allahabad and at the Delhi University.
Bajpai adds that a little birdy has been tweeting to him that Raajneeti’s Indu could be in Aarakshan too. Jha says that he has yet to narrate the script to Katrina Kaif, who is away in Spain, but is “hopeful she will be in the film”.
Jha took five years to script Apaharan (2005), six to complete Raajneeti (2010) and spent eight years writing Gangaajal (2003). He’s been working on the script of Aarakshan for the last three years and is reportedly ready with a third draft, even though he is likely to continue improvising while shooting. The film goes on the floors this winter on real locations in Bhopal. Even though he is reticent on the subject, the film will undoubtedly touch on the burning issue of job reservations and student politics.
Meanwhile, tonight, the Raajneeti team meets at Juhu’s Hotel Novotel to raise a toast to the film’s success. Raajneeti continues to draw audiences even in its third week.
According to trade analyst Amod Mehra, the film is a “hit” and should make a net profit of Rs 10 crore.
A part of its revenue however, has been eaten by the video pirates. In fact, just last week, some BJP MLAs were caught watching a pirated copy of the film at a party meeting in Jaipur. A livid Jha has threatened to sue.
“We’ve been trying to check this menace of piracy, but it’s difficult to enforce the law when people are downloading movies on the net, buying DVDs from the open market, showing films illegally on the cable television network. Even lawmakers are watching pirated prints. It’s convenient for the police, the administrative machinery and even the aam janta (common man) to turn a blind eye to the problem that looms large before the film industry. It’s a constant struggle for us,” he sighs.
Will it be the subject of his next film? He retorts, “It’s too small a subject.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In a new video, Rahul Vaidya revealed that he learnt how to make caramelised eggs from Aly Goni, knead dough from Jasmin Bhasin and even Rakhi Sawant taught him how to cook some dish.
- Videos of Shraddha Kapoor dancing at her cousin Priyaank Sharma's wedding in the Maldives are going viral on the internet.
- Alia Bhatt was seen in a bridal avatar in her new advertisement. Fans loved it and wished to see her get married in real life too. She is in a relationship with Ranbir Kapoor.
- Anil Kapoor joked that Jackie Shroff has threatened to slap him multiple times unless he confirms a film together. The two have starred in 12 films together, till date.
- WandaVision premiered its ninth and final episode on Friday. While it was a satisfying end to Marvel Cinematic Universe's first Phase 4 project, fans feel betrayed over a revelation made.
- Shehnaaz Gill said that she was not affected by the acid attack threats she got and the doctored videos made of her. She said that she is only gaining 'sympathy' in the process.
- Mahhi Vij, in a lengthy note, responded to accusations that she and Jay Bhanushali do not love their foster children Khushi and Rajveer as much as their biological daughter Tara.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.