Silk Road International Film Festival opens with Dil Dhadakne Do
The second edition of the Silk Road International Film Festival opened in Fuzhou, China on Tuesday with Zoya Akhtar’s Dil Dhadakne Do.
Featuring an ensemble cast of Anil Kapoor, Shefali Shah, Priyanka Chopra, Ranveer Singh, Anushka Sharma and Farhan Akhtar, the movie is a bitter sweet comedy of a dysfunctional Punjabi family that sails on a cruise ship to celebrate the wedding anniversary of the characters played by Kapoor and Shah.
Dil Dhadakne Do is part of the festival’s India focus.
The festival’s Competition section will open with Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari’s The New Classmate, starring Swara Bhaskar, Ratna Shah Pathak and Pankaj Tripathy. The New Classmate will vie with 23 other films from many countries. Five of these, including The New Classmate, will be world premieres.
The 24 movies were selected from 950 entries that came from 76 countries.
Some of the other films in the India Focus section will be Gurvinder Singh’s Cannes screener, Chauthi Koot, Anurag Kashyap’s Bombay Velvet and Dibakar Banerjee’s Detective Byomkesh Bakshi.
Tiwari, Ratna Shah, Gurvinder Singh were seen at the opening ceremony. Kashyap and Banerjee will be arriving at the festival in the coming days.
The festival was launched in 2014, and will screen 75 movies this year -- all of them from countries on the Silk Road.
The Silk Road or Route is an ancient communication network of trade and culture that was key to the interaction between the East and the West. The route ran through Asia, and merchants, monks, pilgrims and soldiers from mostly India and China used the Silk Road during various points in history. Almost 6,000 km long, the road got its name from the lucrative trade in Chinese silk that was carried out since the beginning of the Han Dynasty (206 BC).
(Gautaman Bhaskaran is on the jury of the Second Silk Road International Film Festival.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Prakash Raj is the latest addition to the cast of Mani Ratnam's ambitious period drama Ponniyin Selvan. The two first worked together in Iruvar in 1997.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Kavita Kaushik took a dig at Rubina Dilaik while saying that she deserves to win the Bigg Boss 14 trophy. Earlier, Kavita walked out of the show after a nasty fight with Rubina.
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a review of Tandav, which said that Dimple Kapadia 'upstaged' her co-star Saif Ali Khan. While Twinkle praised Saif's performance as well, she said that 'mama bear is still the best'.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- Sidharth Shukla watched the first three episodes of Tandav and praised the show. He also gave a shout-out to Gauahar Khan and said that he loved her performance.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.