Ankit Siwach: The term star has become metaphorical. It doesn’t lift or push down skills
Ankit Siwach is glad that due to streaming platforms, the only thing that works with the audience is a good performance. “The digital era has meant a golden era for artists. Not only actors but everyone involved in film making can finally be creatively satisfied. Actors want to work for OTT as it gives them the freedom which no other medium does. If the product is good, it organically reaches its audience,” says the actor, who will make his Bollywood debut with Banaras Vanilla.
Gone are the days when superstars could put on any kind of performance on screen and continue to enjoy larger-than-life popularity, adds Siwach. “The term ‘Star’ is just metaphorical; it does not lift up or push down any skills. Especially today, when everyone owns an app, and everyone is a star. Only if you know your craft, have talent, will you be able to survive at any job,” he says.
Talking about the kind of content he wants to take up on the web, Siwach shares, “I want to be a part of good stories- especially political dramas and thrillers. Schitt’s Creek is one of the finest shows ever made, watch it for a happy time. Leila is another show which is underrated, but it a gem.”
The actor, known for TV shows such as Rishton Ka Chakravyuh, Manmohini and Beyhadh 2, says that the web is known for bold scenes and crass language but if the story justifies them, it is fine. He explains. “It is sad that murders, kidnappings, violence, bloodshed are considered cool and we still debate about lovemaking scenes. The script can demand it, but if you decide to be a part of it, you need to be there completely. Bold scenes have been a part of storytelling since centuries, just that they are written or shown differently. They may give you a hint and leave the rest to your imagination, they may show you the details visually, not leaving anything for you to imagine.”
He adds, “Cinema and society feed on each other, times change, everyone evolves. taboos like extramarital affairs, sex, offensive language have been a part of daily lives, but people live in denial, it is important to be open about what the reality is.”
Interact with author on Twitter/@iamkav
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kishwer Merchant and Suyyash Rai announced on Tuesday that they are expecting their first child. Check out their Instagram posts.
- Amazon Prime Video has issued a new apology over the legal cases surrounding the political drama Tandav. Read it here.
- Late Pratyusha Banerjee's ex-boyfriend, Rahul Raj Singh, has said that he is waiting for the day that karma punishes Kamya Panjabi and Vikas Gupta. Both Vikas and Kamya have spoken against Rahul in Pratyusha's suicide case.
- Rubina Dilaik, Abhinav Shukla, Nikki Tamboli, Arshi Khan, and Jaan Kumar Sanu attended a Bigg Boss 14 bash thrown by Rahul Mahajan and his wife, Natalya.
- Bigg Boss 14 contestant Jasmin Bhasin took to Twitter to urge her fans to not spread negativity. Her tweet came amid social media wars between her fans and those of Rubina Dilaik.
- Cricketer-turned-actor Salil Ankola shares how he was rushed to the hospital after facing breathlessness, soon after testing positive for coronavirus.
- Rubina Dilaik shared a throwback swimsuit photo of herself and said that she really wants to go on a vacation. However, her husband Abhinav Shukla had a funny response.
- Rakhi Sawant hosted a party on Monday, which was attended by a number of her Bigg Boss 14 co-contestants, including Nikki Tamboli, Jaan Kumar Sanu, Vikas Gupta and Rahul Mahajan.
- Prince Harry has said that his and wife Meghan Markle's decision to take a step back from the royal family was exacerbated by a desire to not have history repeat itself. He did not want to be overwhelmed by media scrutiny in the way that his mother, Diana, was.
- Nikki Tamboli has both defended and made certain clarifications about accusing Jaan Kumar Sanu of kissing her on Bigg Boss 14.
Karan Patel: As an actor, the challenge is to find work in films; to break the stigma that TV actors can’t become film stars
- Disha Parmar's batting skills earned her a Virat Kohli comparison from fiancé Rahul Vaidya. The couple is on a quick vacation together and has been posting updates on social media. Watch their latest video.
- Anita Hassanandani and Rohit Reddy have created an Instagram page for their newborn son, Aaravv. Head on over to satisfy your baby picture cravings.