25 most stunning, unexpected looks from Sonam Kapoor’s wedding reception
From Kareena Kapoor Khan’s dramatic Manish Malhotra saree to Alia Bhatt shaking things up sartorially in her neon Sabyasachi lehenga, check out our favourite looks from Sonam Kapoor and Anand Ahuja’s wedding reception in Mumbai on Tuesday.Updated: May 09, 2018 19:21 IST
Sonam Kapoor and Anand Ahuja’s wedding reception in Mumbai on Tuesday brought so many Bollywood A-listers, along with lots of fashion. It really seemed like an opportunity for everyone, from Kareena Kapoor Khan and Alia Bhatt to Mira Rajput Kapoor and Kangana Ranaut and many more to show off their personal style. Needless to say, the stunning designer dresses and looks left us wanting more.
The star-studded festivities wowed with Alia’s unexpected neon Sabyasachi lehnega and then continued through the night with Mira’s fusion black-and-white Anamika Khanna ensemble.
Check out our favourite looks from Sonam and Anand’s big night:
1. Sonam Kapoor always has a way of surprising us — and reminding us just why we love her style so much. At her reception, the actor wowed with her unexpected fashion choice — an Anamika Khanna lehenga in shades of grey, silver and gold — that breaks out of the ‘pretty bride’ mould. Sonam chose a sleek beauty, pairing her poker-straight hair with a deep red lip.
2. Anand Ahuja wore a monochrome sherwani for the evening, and added a fun twist with a pair of grey Nike sneakers. Could the groom look any cooler?
3. When you shake things up sartorially, it gets noticed. We could almost always rely on Alia Bhatt for pretty pinks and serene blues, but she went the other way at Sonam’s reception. We aren’t used to seeing such a vibrant neon green shade or a Sabyasachi Mukherjee design on the actor, but the different colour and silhouette made it work in its own unique way. This Alia look could perfectly describe as classic-yet-playful and, above all, modest.
4. Pulling off an all-over shimmery anarkali isn’t for the fashion rookie. Actor Aishwarya Rai Bachchan did it perfectly in an ethereal Manish Malhotra design that made her look incredibly sexy and romantic at the same time. And we love the pairing with those delicious chandbali earrings from Anmol Jewellers.
5. With a dipping V-cut choli and sparklier-than-ever gold saree, actor Kareena Kapoor Khan wowed everyone with a dramatic Manish Malhotra look that was a turn from her usual style. Her look was flirty, fresh, and fierce.
6. Another look with a plunging neckline, actor Rani Mukerji’s Sabyasachi lehenga set had a heavily-embellished skirt that matched with the choli. Sparkling festive touches, like the matching gold dupatta and earrings, made her really shine.
7. Being dressed by Manish Malhotra has some perks, including wearing showstopping bespoke pieces. Janhvi Kapoor, who makes her acting debut with Dhadak, perfected the classic princess look in her pale blue lehenga choli. Her look was equal parts glamorous and playful, with a matching organza dupatta.
8. We love this ivory Manish Malhotra saree on actor Karisma Kapoor: It’s perfectly elegant and sexy. And those matchy-matchy embellished accessories — chandelier earrings and clutch — are to die for. Plus, her ensemble actually looks comfortable.
9. We always look forward to seeing what actor Shahid Kapoor’s wife Mira Rajput Kapoor is wearing, and she didn’t disappoint. It was a surprising delight to see her in a more formal, pant-crop-top-like Anamika Khanna ensemble for the occasion. From her ivory-and-black separates with an embroidered drape to her stunning kundan choker, no detail was forgotten.
10. Bold and different than anyone else on the carpet, Jacqueline Fernandez’s picks are always ones we remember. The beautiful ivory colour, a romantic silhouette, and intricate embroidery all combined to beautiful effect for the actor, who wore Manish Malhotra.
11. White and gold were the sweeping colour of the night, which made actor Katrina Kaif’s stunning red and skin Manish Malhotra lehenga really stand out. She is truly radiant.
12. Actor Shilpa Shetty never shies away from statement dresses, and her stardust ice blue draped saree from Tarun Tahiliani is proof of why it works! That handcrafted Bharany’s choker necklace set with matching sapphire earrings are divine.
13. Actor Shah Rukh Khan’s interior designer wife, Gauri Khan, made a statement in Tarun Tahiliani’s ombre jacket. Her voluminous embellished ash grey skirt looks incredible against that delicate jakcet with a jewelled neckline.
14. This embroidered Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla kurta, and matching churidar, makes author Twinkle Khanna look like she came ready to dance, and we love that. The neutral colours, the modest neckline, and the contrasting emerald jewellery are giving us laidback wedding vibes in the best way.
15. We are especially living for Kangana Ranaut’s kanjeevaram saree from Gaurang Shah. The juxtaposition of the shiny bronze border paired with that blush pink saree body and a ladylike pearl, gold and ruby choker (and macthing oversized stud earrings) are incredible!
16. Actor Vidya Balan is always a stunner. What do we have to do to get that cream and gold Gaurang Shah saree?
17. A family wedding provides fashion-lovers a chance to wear head-to-toe looks that might be too much for any other wedding. Case in point? Late actor Sridevi’s daughter Khushi Kapoor in a super dreamy floral Manish Malhotra lehenga, complete with a blossoming pink fringed hem.
18. One of our favourite sightings at Sonam’s reception was actor Kajol, a woman who was clearly loving her Manish Malhotra saree. With a sparkle-on-sheer pallu and blouse to match, and a Judith Leiber clutch to diet for, Kajol’s ensemble had a beautiful silhouette.
19. Head-to-toe sparkle (plus matching jewellery) might be intimidating to lesser style stars, but actor Madhuri Dixit Nene went for it at Sonam’s reception. The result? Super striking.
20. Fresh faces and young actors are always exciting to watch at such star-studded gatherings. And actor Athiya Shetty showed she has serious style chops in her ivory-and-gold Rahul Mishra lehenga.
21. A sleek silhouette and a sheer detail at the hem marked actor Juhi Chawla’s pink Sabyasachi suit as a style winner.
22. We’ve seen so many outrageous looks from actor Ranveer Singh, so his somewhat classic black-and-blue tux suit really stood out.
23. Yes to that all-over embroidered Abu Jani-Sandip Khosla sherwani on filmmaker Karan Johar.
24. Have you ever seen a more dapper wedding guest? Leave it to actor Sidharth Malhotra to blow us way with his sleek black sherwani.
25. Like mother, like daughter. Sonam’s cousin Shanaya Kapoor and her mom Maheep Kapoor in Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla.
Not a bad outfit in the bunch, wouldn’t you agree? In your opinion, which outfit wins best dressed of the night?
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more