8 tips to make your jewellery last longer by storing it correctly
After spending a bomb on expensive necklaces and luxury statement rings, it makes sense to get the most out of them. Be it fashion jewellery or precious silver and gold, taking care of how you store them can ensure they last long. Garima Singh, co-founder and CEO at blingvine.com and jewellery designer Pooja Vaswani, share tips on how to take care of your jewellery pieces:
* Clean your jewellery before storing: Sweat will change the colour of the pieces and make them look old. So, it is important that before storing, you wipe off all the sweat from the jewellery pieces and store it at concealed places. Ideally, store them in a jewellery box with multiple slots or store them separately in boxes they came in to avoid scratching.
* Airtight box or zip locks: Store your jewellery in an airtight box or zip lock to preserve the polish for a longer time. Your precious pearl pieces should be stored in a cloth-lined jewellery box or wrapped a soft cloth to maintain the shine and quality of pearls.
* Use anti-tarnish paper: While storing your jewellery, try to wrap each piece in anti-tarnish paper or an eyeglass cloth. Anti-tarnish paper will maintain the shine of the jewellery.
* Separation is necessary: Do not keep two different type of jewellery in one box. It is essential to store your jewellery in a separate jewellery box or secured containers that will prevent your baubles from moving around and preventing them from getting scratched and broken.
* Avoid wearing delicate jewellery while cooking, gymming, swimming, or any household chores.
* Stay away from extreme exposure to heat and light as gemstones like kunzite can fade or discolour.
* Always put on your jewellery last when dressing. It should be done after the use of make-up, cosmetics, perfume and lotions to avoid damage to delicate items.
* Clean your jewellery with warm water, mild liquid soap and soft brush in a glass bowl. Dry it thoroughly before storing it back. One could use a precious metal polishing cloth to remove tarnish.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more