Project runway: 5 useful trends from the Lakmé Fashion Week
Bloggers at Love and Other Bugs sift through all the trends at Lakmé Fashion Week to pick the most practical onesHT48HRS_Special Updated: Sep 18, 2015 13:20 IST
Bloggers at Love and Other Bugs sift through all the trends at Lakmé Fashion Week to pick the most practical ones:
1. Layering isn’t just for winter: Although Mumbai’s weather doesn’t permit us to fully work the autumn or winter fashion, Urvashi Kaur’s show worked with layers to create sophisticated silhouette. You can layer your outfit with long shirts, bandhani or tie-dye scarves, or dupattas.
2. Trench coats don’t have to be thick: A trench coat doesn’t necessarily have to be thick or warm. The light and sheer ones add an interesting element to your look too. Designers like Armaan-Aiman, Shruti Sancheti and Bodice’s Ruchika Sachdeva worked with trench coats to add elegance to their looks. Throw it over a basic T-shirt and jeans for a classic vintage look. Alternatively, use an oversized shirt or a button-up sweater as a trench coat.
3. Shorter palazzos turn into culottes: Masaba Gupta showcased one-shoulder flared tops teamed with soft and easy cropped pants. For those of you who love experimenting, roll up your pants or slash the length of your palazzos and turn them into culottes.
4. Red is the colour du jour: In saris, dresses and gowns, red was the colour for this edition of Lakmé Fashion Week. The colour dominated every collection — Indian as well as western — with designers like Nachiket Barve and Ankur and Priyanka Modi of AM:PM integrating the colour in their collections. So go ahead and add shades of red to your wardrobe this winter.
5. Prints are here to stay: Quirky and colourful prints have been around for a while and don’t seem to be going anywhere. The likes of Masaba Gupta and Urvashi Joneja showcased bold-yet-fun prints on the ramp. If you already have prints in your closet, don’t hesitate to mix, match and wear print on print.
(Shereen Sikka Bharwani, Kayaan Contractor and Trishala Sikka run the popular fashion blog, Love and Other Bugs (loveandotherbugs.com))
First Published: Sep 04, 2015 20:05 IST