Worried about keeping your jewellery rust-free in the monsoon? Here’s what to do
Maintaining imitation jewellery can be quite a task as they often rust and lose their shine if not taken care of properly. Here are some easy tips to do so.Updated: Jul 26, 2017, 11:15 IST
Fashion jewellery can add a spark to your overall look at an affordable price. However, without proper care, artificial jewellery can catch rust or get discoloured easily and lose its shine. It can also lose its colour and break easily. The trick lies in packing in properly. Here are few easy tips by Vikalp Bothara, founder, Jewellerkaka.com, to retain your jewellery’s durability:
* Keep the jewellery clean and dry: Maintain the lustre of fashion jewellery by keeping it clean and dry. Whether it is a necklace, ring, bracelet or earrings, exposing fashion jewellery to any type of cream, lotion, perfume, oil or even water is an undeniable accelerator of rusting. Make sure to apply cream and perfume before wearing your jewellery.
* Clean up the jewellery after wearing it: Sometimes soap, oil or perfume may accidentally fall on your jewellery while you wear your ring, earrings, necklace or bracelet. It may cause blackness or dullness on your jewellery which may affect its sheen.
* Store it properly: Make sure you keep your fashion jewellery safe. Neck pieces must vertically hang on hooks and the pieces of jewellery should not be in contact with one another and especially not with your precious jewellery that could suffer from corrosion. Always try to keep all your jewellery pieces in individual boxes or in a larger box with various boxes inside. Store the jewellery in a plastic container to maintain its shine.
* Don’t sleep while wearing your jewellery: Always make it a point to remove your jewellery before you doze off. If you are not doing it, then this habit may damage your jewellery and make it tarnish quickly or even break it. And besides damaged jewellery could lose colour or even injure and scratch your skin.
* Keep your fashion jewellery dry: Always make sure you are not wearing your jewellery when you are in a pool, doing laundry or washing dishes. Never clean your jewellery with water as it can rust immediately.
* Do not use any cloth to store your jewellery: Do not store the jewellery in velvet as the material might dull the shine of the jewellery. Rather, you can keep your jewellery in cotton to maintain its shine.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more