Stop popping pills. These 10 everyday items in your kitchen are the best cure for sick days
Eating kiwi for better vision, spinach for period pain, or watermelon for the lack of sex drive — these easily available food items are all you need.fitness Updated: Oct 26, 2017 08:42 IST
You might be surprised to know that all the ingredients needed for the recipe of good health are easily available in your kitchen. Simple food items such as broccoli, chocolate and cinnamon can be life savers when it comes to common ailments.
Let’s start with:
1) Chocolate: Chocolate is not only a mood-enhancer, as it helps reduce symptoms of depression, but it can also help reverse ageing. The darker the chocolate, the better.
2) Broccoli: Eating a handful of broccoli will help you fight diseases such as arthritis. At the same time,extracts of broccoli — a cruciferous vegetable rich in vitamins, fibre and disease-fighting phytochemicals — may be beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.
3) Mushrooms: Suffering from ailments regularly? Increase your intake of mushrooms as it is filled with immune-boosting anitoxidants called ergothioneine — which can help ward off colds and other viruses. Including mushrooms in your diet can improve the health of your brain, with scientists claiming that it may enhance cerebral nerve growth and significantly cut the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s.
4) Chicken soup: Remember how your grandmother said that chicken soup can cure anything? Well, it’s true. Chicken soup has carnosine, which helps fight off flu virus in its early stages. Hot soup can also clear throat and nasal congestion.
5) Cinnamon: Feeling tired from your long travel? Add some cinnamon to your snack, meal or smoothie. It helps with digestion, calms stomach muscles and helps prevent motion sickness.
6) Watermelon: We guarantee you, this one’s the most unexpected. Did you know that watermelon is packed with phyto-nutrient citrulline, which increases the body’s level of nitric oxide? This relaxes the blood vessels and increases blood circulation, thus decreasing the amount of time it takes to get aroused.
7) Spinach: A deficiency in vital minerals can cause spasms in the uterus. Eat spinach and kale that are rich in magnesium to ease the pain.
8) Onion: This contains allicin, which is a powerful antibiotic. It is an effective cure for cold, flu, stomach and urinary infection. Onions also contain quercetin, which promotes good cholesterol and may have cancer-fighting properties.
9) Pineapple: This fruit has powerful anti-inflammatory effect which helps with conditions such as arthritis. Pineapples have also been found to reduce asthma.
10) Kiwi: This fruit helps protect against impaired vision. It is a rich source of lutein, an antioxidant commonly found in eggs and dark green vegetables.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more.