9 skincare mistakes that are ruining your skin every single day
You may be making some big beauty blunders. Know how they are impacting your skin, and correct them nowhealth and fitness Updated: Apr 16, 2016 14:02 IST
Has problem-free skin always been a distant dream for you despite splurging wholeheartedly on luxe products? You’d be surprised to know that your daily routine and some of the most common things you use everyday are giving you breakouts and other skin problems.
Here’s identifying the problem and helping you out with quick tips:
1) The wrong skincare: If you have been using the same skin care products that you used as a teen, your skin will eventually react to it. Many times you start using products designed to fight teen acne. As you grow, your skin texture also changes and demands extra care and protection. Make sure you choose and use the right product to suit your skin type.
2) Your phone: Yes, it’s true! Your phone snuggles with your oily face and hair all day. A lot of bacteria accumulate on your phone, which when come in contact with your facial skin , can cause blemishes. Not cleaning the phone screen can trap dirt, makeup and moisturisers, giving you breakouts.
3) Workout equipment: Not showering after a workout is the biggest skin blunder one can make. It’s not the act of exercising that is causing those nasty spots. It’s that yoga mat or gym machinery that touches sweat and contains germs. Workout machinery can also give you friction acne — when constant rubbing ends up making you sweat, your skin becomes irritated, and this causes little red bumps.
4) Makeup brushes, sponges and pads: Dirty makeup brushes can sure lead to acne. You might be thinking it’s your new cream or even your foundation, but it could simply be you’re routine and not the product. Even if you have just washed your face and your skin is squeaky clean, those brushes still need to be washed. Makeup brushes start collecting dust, oil and dead skin cells if they are not washed for a long time.
5) Television remote: Your TV remote is something you handle everyday, be it while eating lunch or while snacking on popcorn while watching a movie. Remotes are loaded with bacteria, which can easily transfer to your fingers and then to your face, putting you at risk of breakouts. Wash your hands after handling the TV or AC remote and remember to wipe it down with an antibacterial wipe at least once a week.
6) Constant touching: Many of us have a habit of touching our face with dirty fingers or even plucking a pimple. Touching our face with hands introduces more oil, dirt and germs to skin. Not only that, our hair care products can also get on our hairline or face, eventually blocking pores. So, try and keep your hair away from your face whenever possible.
7) Washing face with soap: Soaps contains harsh chemicals which are not at all meant to be used for face cleansing. They can make the skin dry and irritable. The skin’s pH level, if disturbed, can contribute to skin problems. Ordinary commercial soaps have pH levels between 9 to 11, which increases the skin pH level, leading to problems.
8) Waxing your face: It’s a complete NO. Sometimes you might notice breakouts when you wax your face. Waxing-induced breakouts might look like red bumps or whiteheads.
9) Dirty pillowcase: Sleeping on the same pillowcase can cause breakouts even if you wash your face every night. Your pillowcases carry dirt and sweat from your hair, hands, and build up from the beauty products you use on your face at night, which can not only clog your pores, but also give you bumpy skin. It’s best to change your pillowcase every few days.
Inputs by Dr. Nivedeta Dadu and Beauty experts Naina Arora and Pooja Goyal
First Published: Apr 15, 2016 08:49 IST