Bunny chow, bread phirni: Try these two yummy bread recipes this weekend
There’s good reason why bread is the most consumed food around the world: it is wholesome, filling and extremely versatileHT48HRS_Special Updated: Oct 29, 2016 09:53 IST
Bread has been a part of our diet for centuries. Across cultures and geographies, bread-based recipes are in abundance – whether it is the humble chapati or the challah (a Jewish bread). In this edition, our expert chef uses bread to create a popular South African delicacy – bunny chow.
South African Bunny Chow
Recipe by Gupteshwar Patel, chef, Global Chaos
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Bread loaf (Hollowed and toasted in an oven): ½
Boneless chicken leg: 150g
Tomatoes (chopped): 200g
Turmeric powder: 1tsp
Cumin powder: 1tsp
Garam masala: 1tsp
Chicken stock: 100ml
1) In a heavy bottomed pan, heat some oil and sauté ginger and garlic paste.
2) Add the chopped onion and tomatoes. Over medium flame, sauté till the onions turn translucent.
3) Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin powders. Constantly stir the mixture so that it does not stick at the bottom.
3) Cook until the masala and oil separates. Now add chicken to this mixture.
4) Once the chicken is cooked, add in spinach paste and chicken stock.
5) Reduce the mixture till gravy-like consistency.
6) Finish with salt, black pepper and garam masala.
7) Take the hollowed bread loaf and fill it with the chicken and gravy.
8) You can also make a vegetarian version by substituting the chicken by Portobello mushrooms.
Winning reader recipe
Bread and pistachio phirni by Prachi Mishra
Milk: 1 ltr
Bread: 5-7 slices
Pistachio (Crushed): 50g
Rose water (soaked with saffron): 5ml
Sugar: as per taste
Cardamom powder: 1 tbsp
Nutmeg powder: 1 tbsp
Ghee: 1 tbsp
Boil milk on medium flame.
Meanwhile, slice off the sides of bread, turn the slices into crumbs.
Heat ghee in a pan, salute bread crumbs for a few minutes, till it turns golden brown.
Add pistachio powder to the boiling milk, and cook for five minutes.
Add bread crumbs, and let it simmer some more.
Now stir in Milkmaid, and let it simmer till the mixture thickens.
Add sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and cook for another two minutes.
Add saffron before serving.
First Published: Oct 28, 2016 00:00 IST