Check your child's sleep quotient
The less a child sleeps, the more likely he or she is to become obese. Researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in the United States have carried out a study and found that with each additional hour of sleep, the risk of a child being overweight or obese drops by nine per cent.
According to lead researcher Youfa Wang, "Our analysis of the data shows a clear association between sleep duration and the risk for overweight or obesity in children. The risk declined with more sleep.
"Desirable sleep behaviour may be an important low cost means for preventing childhood obesity and should be considered in future intervention studies. "Our findings may also have important implications in societies where children do not have adequate sleep due to the pressure for academic excellence and where the prevalence of obesity is rising."
The researchers came to the conclusion after reviewing 17 published studies on sleep duration and childhood obesity and they analysed 11 of them in their meta-analysis. The recommended amount of daily sleep varied between studies analysed and with children's age.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Every week, fitness enthusiast Malaika Arora shares a new Yoga asana with her followers and urges them to exercise. However, this week, in order to celebrate International Women's Day she posted a picture of herself nailing the Reverse Warrior Pose and asked women to flaunt their warrior side.
- Disha Patani is known for her extreme workout sessions. The Bharat actor took to Instagram on International Women's Day and shared a glimpse from her martial arts session to show how strong she is.
- American actor and The Twilght Saga’s Rosalie Hale aka Nikki Reed flaunts her acro sport skills in latest fitness post as hubby and Vampire Diaries star Ian Somerhalder captures her in the middle of the jaw-dropping exercise move. Here’s why you should give Acro Yoga workout a try too
- Ishaan Khatter raises the bar of fitness motivation as we enter a new week and we are too inspired to follow his version of ‘when someone says let’s meet at the bar’. Here’s why
- Vicky Kaushal recently shared a glimpse of himself sweating it hard in the gym in order to earn his weekend cheat meal. We can say that the clip is inspiring us to start our Sunday with a fitness session as well.