Fitness queries: Healthy gains
Fitness expert Leena Mongre answers your wellness queries.Updated: Jan 02, 2012 02:26 IST
Fitness expert Leena Mongre answers your wellness queries.QHi I'am Neha. I am 15 years old, 4’9 in height and my weight is 30kg. I am a vegetarian. Please suggest a diet plan which will help me gain weight and increase my height faster.
Dear Neha, considering that you are just 15 years old and have almost three to four years to grow, you should not be very worried as the average Indian height is between 5’3" to 5’6". For the ideal height, you should weigh between 50 to 55 kgs. One’s increase in height depends on their genetics and the release of hormones from their body. Let nature take its course as you are a growing youngster now. However, you can only boost your fitness levels and work towards increasing your height by cycling or swimming on a regular basis. This also helps in boosting your appetite, thereby helping you gain weight the right way. Be sure your diet consists of the right food— green vegetables and fruits. Avoid consuming fried and junk food like burgers and pizzas.
QMy sister is 15 years old and is 5’3" in height. She weighs around 80 kg. However, she has been exercising regularly with a personal trainer for the last three years, but hasn’t managed to lose any weight. Managing studies and tuitions leave her with little time for long workouts. Please suggest a workable solution.
Hi Jhanavi, your sister can follow the following diet to get in shape.
* Early morning (7 am): One cup green tea + a fruit.
* Breakfast (9 am): One cup of skimmed milk (no sugar)+ two whole wheat bread slices (avoid cheese or butter or jam) / a bowl of oats porridge with skimmed milk or a plate of poha (without groundnuts)
* Mid-morning (11.30 am): A glass of gourd juice
* Lunch (2 pm): Always start the meal with a glass of water. Eat vegetable salad+ two dry chapatis + one bowl of sal or sambar+ a bowl of green vegetable + a cup of curd or buttermilk
* Evening snacks (5 pm): One cup soya milk + handful of roasted chana / sprouts bhel. You can also eat two digestive biscuits at 7 pm with a seasonal fruit (avoid banana, chikoo, sitaphal and mango)
* Dinner (9 pm): One bowl of homemade veg soup at 9 pm + salads + a bhakri (jowar/bajra/ ragi). Avoid consuming rice at night. You can eat a bowl of dal or dahi kadhi and a cup of green vegetables.
QHi, I am Alka, a 24 year old girl, 5' 7" tall. I weigh around 50 kg. My habits are irregular, which leads to problems like gas, sleeping disorders and even lack of concentration when it comes to studies. Can you suggest a proper diet chart that will help me to stay fit, gain weight and increase my concentration?
Dear Alka, a correct diet chart can be advised only after checking your current diet and habits. Please send in the same and we can help you.
First Published: Dec 25, 2011 15:44 IST