Gujia, thandaai, jaljeera: Some mouth-watering snacks for you this Holi!
After a splash of colours, mischief and some dancing, guests make a beeline for food at every Holi party. Plan convenient snacking options, which are cooked right and presented in a colourful way.health and fitness Updated: Mar 05, 2015 21:42 IST
After a splash of colours, mischief and some dancing, guests make a beeline for food at every Holi party. Plan convenient snacking options, which are cooked right and presented in a colourful way.
Hot and tasty snacks paired with thandaai, jaljeera, masala chaach or traditional masala chai will turn out to be a treat during the fun and frolic on Holi.
Here are some do's and don'ts of serving the perfect Holi snacks, as suggested by Chef Tushar from McCain Foods Kitchen:
* Cook them right: If oil is hot enough and the food is not immersed in the oil for too long, oil penetration will be confined only to the outer surface. The correct frying temperature in most cases it lies between 175-190 degree centigrade. Overheating should be avoided.
* Don't overfill the pan: Leave space around the food, it helps in even cooking from all sides. Also, if you add too much food at once, the oil temperature will drop and the food will absorb fat.
* Serve them light: Snacks are not a full meal. They are essentially appetisers which are created to enhance your hunger and not to fill you up. Chili Garlic Potato Bites, Masala fries and Veggie Nuggets are some foods that can be served.
* A colorful platter: The appetisers should look appetizing and luscious. Go for neon-rimmed tooth picks and tiny colourful spoons to make the snacks look more interesting.
* Keep your snacks bite-sized: Keeping the snacks bite-sized so that they can be easily picked up from the plates, both with hand or toothpicks.
* Timing matters: Snacks should be prepared as close to the serving time as possible to ensure the desired freshness and crispiness, otherwise they might get soggy.
* Use frozen foods rightly: The products should be used straight from the freezer if thawing is not required. Return the unused product back to the freezer at the earliest.
Just in case you want to pair up your snacks with more than thandaai, we have the perfect alternative for you. Relish some delightful cocktails and what better way than to try some good ones made up from Whiskey brand Jim Beam. From Kentucky Storm to Manhattan, these drinks promise a blend of rich colours and flavours.
First Published: Mar 05, 2015 21:27 IST