Heart failure 'linked to brain damage'
People with heart failure are also likely to suffer extensive damage in the brain, says a study in the European Heart Journal.
An international team, led by the University of Western Australia, claims to have for the first time established a link between heart failure and loss of cerebral grey matter and impaired cognitive function in the brain.
The study revealed that people with heart failure (HF) and ischaemic heart disease (IHD) may suffer impaired memory, reasoning and planning, with the possible medical implication of suffering difficulty in following self-care advice.
The study of 155 adults -- consisting of 64 controls, 35 with heart failure and 56 with ischaemic heart disease --was used to determine whether compared with "controls" with and without IHD, adults with systolic HF show evidence of cognitive impairment and cerebral grey matter (GM) loss.
Lead author Prof Osvaldo Almeida said that magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) allowed the examination of the impact of both heart failure and ischaemic heart disease on cerebral grey matter. MRI was used to assess differences in the volume of GM in different parts of the brain.
The findings reveal that adults with HF have worse immediate and long-term memory and psychomotor speed than controls without IHD.
"It showed that people with heart failure display more widespread and extensive brain changes than adults with ischaemic heart disease," the 'sciencenetwork' online quoted Prof Almeida as saying.
He added: "It could be possible that patients with heart failure have trouble following complex management strategies, and therefore, treatment messages should be simple and clear."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Vicky Kaushal recently shared a glimpse of himself sweating it hard in the gym in order to earn his weekend cheat meal. We can say that the clip is inspiring us to start our Sunday with a fitness session as well.
- Being high in fiber and sugar content, dates or khajur often leave people speculating about whether they should be consumed after soaking over night or raw or on empty stomach or before going to bed. Read on to know when is the best and worst time to eat dates
- Katrina Kaif recently hosted an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram and shared never seen before images and videos with her fans. She also posted about her healthy breakfast and intense fitness routine.
- Aditi Rao Hydari shows you how to do weight training without actually using weights in her latest fitness clip. Saying that this video is hilarious would be an understatement.
- A study done in the USA showed that wearing masks can actually curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. However, dining at restaurants, both in open area and inside, can increase the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.