Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 19, 2018-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Managing Electric Shock

If rescuer is not cautious he may also receive severe electric shock or even die along with the patient.

health and fitness Updated: Sep 19, 2003 19:18 IST
PTI

Intelligent and prompt action is required. If the rescuer is not cautious he may also receive severe electric shock or even die along with the patient.

    If the patient is still in contact with the source of current switch off the source of current. This should be done with the rescuer standing on a dry piece of wooden board. Do not use a pair of scissors or knife to cut the wire. When the current is of low voltage then the rescuer should stand on an insulated material that is dry. (Insulated materials include rubber-soled shoes, wooden planks, or piles of newspapers.) Rubber gloves if available should be worn. Dry clothing like a coat or a folded newspaper may give some protection.

    When the current is of a very high voltage then the danger is greater even though the patient may not even be in contact with the wire as the current can pass through the gap causing an arc. The rescuer should keep as far away from the electric wires as possible. The patient should be dragged out using a non-conducting material like a wooden walking stick, dry bamboo pole, wooden plank or a dry rope.

    If the patient is not breathing properly or the heart has stopped beating, give artificial respiration and external cardiac massage.

    Treat for shock.

    Treat for burns.

    Transfer the patient to a hospital as soon as possible. Remember that even in cases of mild electrical injuries when the patient apparently recovers, he must be examined by a doctor as the effects are sometimes felt only after a while.

    (Source: Webhealthcentre.com)

First Published: Sep 19, 2003 19:18 IST