Want to look younger? Change your diet
Stock up on fruits and colourful vegetables as you give sugar-rich foods a miss.health and fitness Updated: Aug 04, 2013 01:18 IST
Stock up on fruits and colourful vegetables as you give sugar-rich foods a miss. As you already know, a healthy diet is good for you, and can slow the aging process and keep your face looking fresher. Here are a few healthy diet ideas for you to help maintain or recapture that youthful glow. One of the biggest culprits in premature aging is sugar, at least according to research published in the journal Age earlier this year. So what can you do?
Manage your sugar consumption:
- Avoid refined sugars and opt for natural sugars in fruits.
- Go easy on high-fat meat, high-fat dairy products and baked goods, which besides not doing your skin any favour, can clog your arteries with saturated fat.
- Lighten up on salt, which leaves you feeling bloated and can raise your blood pressure. Over time, salt can damage your kidneys, eyes, and brain, writes WebMD. Limit sodium to about 1 teaspoon of table salt throughout your day.
- Load up on colourful, anti-oxidant-rich fruits and vegetables. Aim for five to nine servings a day. Vitamin C has been found to keep your skin younger looking and a 2010 study found that eating yellow and green vegetables was linked with fewer wrinkles.
- Oily fresh fish like salmon has also been linked to a youthful appearance. Chock is full of protein, which can maintain firm skin tone. Oily fish also contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which your body needs but doesn’t produce naturally.