Leonardo DiCaprio confirmed to star in new Quentin Tarantino movie, his first since The Revenant | hollywood | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 15, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Leonardo DiCaprio confirmed to star in new Quentin Tarantino movie, his first since The Revenant

Leonardo DiCaprio will star in a movie set around the Charles Manson murders, Hollywood entertainment publications reported on Friday, but he will not play the role of the American cult leader.

hollywood Updated: Jan 13, 2018 09:38 IST
Reuters
Leonardo DiCaprio,Quentin Tarantino,Charles Manson
Leonardo DiCaprio looks on prior to speaking on stage during the Paris premiere of the documentary film Before the Flood at the Theatre du Chatelet in Paris, France.(REUTERS)

Leonardo DiCaprio will star in a movie set around the Charles Manson murders, Hollywood entertainment publications reported on Friday, but he will not play the role of the American cult leader.

DiCaprio will instead take the part of an ageing, out-of-work actor in the as-yet untitled movie being produced and directed by Oscar-winner Quentin Tarantino, Variety and Deadline.com said.

Plot details have not been released but Tarantino said in November that it was not a biographical movie but a story set during the summer of 1969, when a string of gruesome killings in Southern California were carried out by Manson’s followers.

Leonardo DiCaprio in a still from Tarantino’s Django Unchained.

Manson, one of the 20th century’s most notorious criminals, died in November at the age of 83. He had been serving a life sentence for ordering the murders of nine people including actress Sharon Tate.

The Sony Pictures movie is to be released on August 9, 2019, exactly 50 years after Tate and four friends were stabbed or shot dead.

Deadline and Variety said that Australian actor Margot Robbie has been asked to play Sharon Tate. Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and Al Pacino are also rumoured to be interested, or are being sought, for the movie.

Brad Pitt in a still from Tarantino’s Ingourious Basterds.

Sony Pictures, part of Sony Corp, did not return a request for comment on the casting.

The movie will be the first Tarantino film to be released without the Weinstein Company following allegations by more than 70 women of sexual misconduct against its former chief executive Harvey Weinstein.

Weinstein, who has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone, was fired last November and his independent production company is currently up for sale.

Follow @htshowbiz for more

First Published: Jan 13, 2018 09:37 IST