Meryl Streep is backing India’s Daughter to win an Oscar
India’s Daughter, a controversial film banned by Indian authorities about the December 16 Delhi gang-rape has opened in the United States to acclaim, with Hollywood star Meryl Streep saying it deserves to win an Academy Award.
Depicting the rape and murder of a medical student in 2012 that sparked violent protests, the documentary India’s Daughter has been mired in controversy since the Indian government implemented its ban.
But Oscar-winning actress Streep, who introduced the documentary at its US theatrical release in New York City on Wednesday night, said it was worthy of the movie industry’s highest honour.
“I’m on the campaign now to get her nominated for best documentary,” said Streep, speaking of the film’s director, Leslee Udwin.
The hour-long film chronicles the gang rape of Jyoti Singh, 23, on a moving bus in India’s capital and the subsequent protests started by Indian students.
Watch the trailer for the film here
Singh, who was returning home from the cinema with a male friend, died after her assailants pushed a metal rod inside her and pulled out her intestines.
“When I first saw [the film] I couldn’t speak afterwards,” Streep said.
The film draws on extensive footage of an interview in jail with one of the attackers, Mukesh Singh, who blamed the victim for being out in the evening with a male friend.
“A decent girl won’t roam around at nine o’clock at night,” he says. “A girl is far more responsible for rape than a boy.”
Sentenced to death, he has appealed his verdict along with three other convicted assailants also on death row.
The documentary, scheduled for broadcasting in India, was banned while Udwin was in the country promoting it, the director said during a talk following its screening.
In a statement, the government warned that certain excerpts “appear to encourage and incite violence against women.”
The movie will open in US theaters on October 23 nationwide, promoter Christine Merser said. Screenings are also scheduled in a handful of countries from Iceland to China.
Udwin said she had found hope in the outpouring of support following Singh’s rape but was dismayed at the timid outcry after a 4-year-old girl was raped and beaten with stones in New Delhi earlier this month.
“Why are people not out on the streets now?” she said.
There were 33,764 victims of rape in India in 2013 according to the country’s National Crime Records Bureau.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.
- The Golden Globes 2021 winners will be announced on February 28 (March 1 in India). Here's what time the 78th Golden Globe Awards will commence and how to watch the show.
- Miley Cyrus shared a throwback picture of her and singer Nick Jonas. The two Disney alums were rumoured to be dating when they were younger.