19-year-old dies after eating shawarma at stall in Mumbai, vendors held | Latest News India - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

19-year-old dies after eating shawarma at stall in Mumbai, vendors held

May 09, 2024 06:37 PM IST

Bhokse complained of stomach ache and vomited after he ate the shawarma. He sought medical treatment and was hospitalised, but passed away on Monday.

Mumbai police have arrested two food vendors, Anand Kamble and Ahmed Sheikh, in connection with the death of a 19-year-old in the city. The deceased, Prathamesh Bhokse, reportedly died after eating chicken shawarma bought from their stall in the Trombay area on May 3. Bhokse complained of stomach ache and vomited after he ate the shawarma. He then also went to a municipal hospital nearby to get medical treatment. Bhokse later felt unwell again, following which his family members took him to the civic-run KEM Hospital on May 5.

The deceased, Prathamesh Bhokse, reportedly died after eating 'chicken shawarma' bought from a stall in the Trombay area of Mumbai on May 3rd.
The deceased, Prathamesh Bhokse, reportedly died after eating 'chicken shawarma' bought from a stall in the Trombay area of Mumbai on May 3rd.

The doctor initially treated him and sent him home. However, due to his persistent ill-health, Bhokse was admitted to the hospital. He subsequently died on Monday.

Now catch your favourite game on Crickit. Anytime Anywhere. Find out how

The hospital authorities informed the police, leading to the registration of an FIR against unidentified individuals under sections 336 and 273 of the Indian Penal Code.

Read More: Crick-It's in-depth coverage of the IPL

Meanwhile, in an unrelated incident, 12 people were admitted to a hospital for suspected food poisoning in the last two days after they ate a non-vegetarian street food item in the Goregaon area of Mumbai. The incident occurred at Satellite Tower in Santosh Nagar area of Goregaon (East) on Friday. The people reportedly consumed chicken shawarma.

"Twelve people complained of food poisoning on Friday and Saturday. They were admitted to a hospital. While nine people were discharged, three others are undergoing treatment," the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) official said without elaborating on whether the food was consumed by the 12 people at a hotel or shop.

Read More: UK Pokémon fan’s rare card collection from 1990s to 2000s sells for over 57 lakh in auction

Symptoms of food poisoning can vary widely depending on the source of contamination of food but often include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, fever, and sometimes even more severe symptoms.

Preventing food poisoning involves proper food handling, storage, and cooking techniques, as well as avoiding risky foods like undercooked meats, unpasteurized dairy, and foods left at room temperature for too long.

(With inputs from PTI)

Read More: HT's special coverage of the 2024 Lok Sabha elections

Get World Cup ready with Crickit! From live scores to match stats, catch all the action here. Explore now!

See more

Get Current Updates on India News, Budget 2024, Weather Today along with Latest News and Top Headlines from India and around the world.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, June 19, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On