At ‘Glorious Cow’ event in BSE, minister says govt considering ‘Project Cow’
Amid a controversy over a central notification that effectively bans sale of cattle for slaughter, Union minister Hansraj G Ahir said on Sunday the Centre was considering to set up ‘cow sanctuaries’ and initiate ‘Project Cow’ on the lines of Project Tiger.
“It is difficult to maintain cows which are not self-sustaining animals. We need to protect them by setting up cow sanctuaries on the lines of those for tigers,” minister of state for home Ahir said at a national conference on “BOS INDICUS - The Glorious Indian Cow” at the Bombay Stock Exchange Building in Mumbai.
Addressing the gathering, Bharatiya Janata Party’s Rajya Sabha member Subramanian Swamy, who is founder-President of Virat Hindustan Sangam, said a ban on cow slaughter has been guaranteed by the Constitution.
Accordingly, the Centre has withdrawn 13 subsidies given by the previous government on export of cows and beef, he said.
“Even the western world has realised that beef is not a very good source of protein and that they can get much more protein from pulses and soyabeans,” Swamy said, advocating a ban on cow slaughter.
He said cows are precious animals that need to be protected and preserved, listing out the medicinal value of cow urine and use of dung for various purposes.
Swamy said that since the western countries have realised that milk from Indian cows is of higher quality, there is a huge demand for it.
The price of cow milk in India is one-sixth of that in Europe and India can become a major exporter of cow milk if we properly rear cows in the country, the BJP leader added.
These export earning could go to finance ‘gaushalas’ to house cows, Swamy said.
ISKCON’s spiritual head Radhanath Swami Maharaj said: “Cow is the foundation of the world economy, and it’s not just about preventing their slaughter, but also making them happy from their birth till their end.”
Mafatlal Group of Industries Chairman Hrishikesh Mafatlal urged the corporate world to include cow protection as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility.
‘Cow Connect’, a mobile application aimed at providing effective search on cow products, breeds, manufacturers, and sellers was unveiled at the conference.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Police arrested the 32-year-od man from the airport while he was waiting to catch a fight for Dubai
- Union home secretary Ajay Bhalla said that states must check the spread rumours, and direct all the concerned authorities to take appropriate measures to counter false information about Covid-19 vaccines.
- The Maha Vir Chara and the Vir Chara are India's second and third highest wartime gallantry award.
- In November, the MNM promised a computer with high-speed internet for every home in its seven-point governance and economic agenda.
- Akash-NG is a new generation surface-to-air missile meant for use by Indian Air Force to intercept high maneuvering low radar cross-section aerial threats.