Bhubaneswar child molester held finally, 10 days after minor’s assault was caught on CCTV
Slammed over its alleged slackness in hunting down a man who was caught molesting a girl in CCTV camera in a Bhubaneswar locality 10 days ago, Odisha police said they have arrested the accused who was later identified as a fruit vendor.
Deepak Kumar Sahu, a fruit vendor, was earlier allegedly involved in extortion in the name of Puja festivities, said Police Commissioner Sudhanshu Sarangi. Sahu was produced before the court after his arrest.
The Commissionerate of Police had arrested Sahu on Friday for allegedly stalking and molesting a schoolgirl at Chintamaneswar, Laxmi Sagar area of the city on August 21. On Saturday, the accused was taken to the spot where he allegedly committed the crime. The police are also going to seek a TI parade in this case from the court.
Sahu, according to the police, was riding a motorcycle and accosted a minor girl who was on her way to attend tuitions. He later attempted to physically abuse her at the end of the road in Sabar Sahi area. The man however had to flee when the girl raised an alarm. The entire episode was caught in a CCTV camera installed nearby.
The victim immediately rushed back home and informed her parents who lodged an FIR the same day. But, the delay in arrest of the accused sparked outrage with women activists and opposition parties alleging that police were not serious about the case.
Women activist Tapasi Praharaj said the delay in arrest of the accused reflected poorly on the efficiency of police. “If cops can’t arrest a person even after he was caught in CCTV camera, what is the use of having so many CCTV cameras all over the city, she asked.
BJP leader Samir Mohanty alleged the Odisha police had lost efficiency over the years due to too much political work.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The police say about 30,000 tractors are likely to participate in the rally, but farm leaders said the number of vehicles will be closer to 200,000.
- The break-up of 946 police personnel who have been awarded medals on the occasion of the Republic Day, 2021.
- "We have promised ourselves that we will not just meet our Paris Agreement targets but exceed them...” PM Modi said.
- The Nagaland government had come to the Supreme Court in exceptional circumstances for orders to restrain the sitting Lokayukta from hearing any case or exercising his powers or functions under the Nagaland Lokayukta Act, 2017.
- His mother said she was not at all happy to receive the news that her son was conferred Maha Vir Chakra. “I expected the top medal, not this,” she said.
- In a letter sent to all government ministries and departments Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba warned "that serious view would be taken" against those who fail to attend the ceremony despite invitations
- Of the 1.92 lakh beneficiaries that were to be vaccinated till January 25, the state has covered 1.77 lakh.
- “The chief minister is corrupt so he’s being controlled by the prime minister,” said Gandhi during his roadshow in Karur district.