On Bilkis Bano gangrape, Supreme Court says ‘didn’t order for convicts' release'

Updated on Aug 25, 2022 11:38 AM IST

Bilkis Bano was 21 when she was gangraped; seven members of her family - including her 3-yr-old daughter - were killed.

In this file photo, Bilkis Bano can be seen addressing a press conference in New Delhi in January 2008. In the case, the Bombay high court has also set aside the acquittal of six others for tampering with evidence.(File Photo)
In this file photo, Bilkis Bano can be seen addressing a press conference in New Delhi in January 2008. In the case, the Bombay high court has also set aside the acquittal of six others for tampering with evidence.(File Photo)
By | Reported by Utkarsh Anand | Edited by Swati Bhasin, New Delhi

More than a week after 11 convicts - serving life term sentences in the Bilkis Bano gangrape case - walked out of jail, the Supreme Court on Thursday heard the challenge against their release. Chief Justice NV Ramana had said on Tuesday that he would consider listing the matter.

During the hearing, the top court stressed: “We have to see whether there was an application of mind or not. This court didn't order for their release but only asked the state to consider remission as per the policy.”

“Day in and day out, those who have served out their terms are granted remission as per the policy,” the court stressed, issuing notices to the Centre and the Gujarat government on the petition challenging the remission. The court also directed for making 11 convicts as parties to the plea.

Bilkis Bano was escaping the violence during the 2002 Gujarat riots when she was gangraped. The convicts also murdered seven members of her family, including her three-year-old daughter. The release of the 11 convicts - who had served about 15 years of their jail term - on India’s Independence Day under the Gujarat government’s remission policy had triggered huge outrage. This was after one of the convicts approached the Supreme Court, saying he had been in the prison for more than 15 years.

Anger over convicts' release

Opposition leaders across the country had slammed the BJP, ruling in Gujarat and at Centre, for the move. Trinamool Congress’s Mahua Moitra was among one of the petitioners who challenged the release.

Not just the remission, but the subsequent felicitation of the convicts had sparked huge anger. Maharashtra deputy chief minister Devendra Fadnavis earlier this week had said the "felicitation could not be justified". “There was no need to raise Bilkis Bano case here (in the House). The convicts have been released after completing nearly 14 years in jail. They were released following a Supreme Court order. But it is wrong if any accused is felicitated. An accused is an accused, and such acts cannot be justified,” he said. Recently, over 6,000 citizens - including prominent activists - had also written to the SC on the convicts walking out of jail.

Among other who objected was one of the judges who convicted the 11 men in 2009. “While the remission was legal, was it just?” retired justice Umesh Salvi said at an event earlier this week.

Get Latest India Newsalong with Latest Newsand Top Headlinesfrom India and around the world.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Follow the latest breaking news and developments from India and around the world with Hindustan Times' newsdesk. From politics and policies to the economy and the environment, from local issues to national events and global affairs, we've got you covered.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, December 01, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals