Cabinet likely to consider funding update of NPR
The Union Cabinet is likely to consider a proposal on Tuesday to allocate funds for updating the National Population Register (NPR), an exercise which is to commence from April next year, people familiar with the matter said.
The proposal is a part of the agenda of the cabinet meeting, PTI said on Monday, quoting sources.
A senior government official, when contacted, refused to confirm or deny the development. The NPR is a list of “usual residents” of the country. A “usual resident” is defined, for the purposes of NPR, as a person who has resided in a local area for the past six months or more or a person who intends to reside in that area for the next six months or more.
The data for NPR was collected in 2010 along with the house-listing phase of Census of India 2011.
The update of this data was done during 2015 by conducting door-to-door survey. The digitisation of the updated information has been completed. It has been decided to update the NPR along with the house-listing phase of Census 2021 during April to September 2020 in all the states/UTs except Assam, according to the website of the Office of the registrar general, and census commissioner.
The objective of the NPR is to create a comprehensive identity database of every usual resident in the country.
(With inputs from PTI)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The police say about 30,000 tractors are likely to participate in the rally, but farm leaders said the number of vehicles will be closer to 200,000.
- The break-up of 946 police personnel who have been awarded medals on the occasion of the Republic Day, 2021.
- "We have promised ourselves that we will not just meet our Paris Agreement targets but exceed them...” PM Modi said.
- The Nagaland government had come to the Supreme Court in exceptional circumstances for orders to restrain the sitting Lokayukta from hearing any case or exercising his powers or functions under the Nagaland Lokayukta Act, 2017.
- His mother said she was not at all happy to receive the news that her son was conferred Maha Vir Chakra. “I expected the top medal, not this,” she said.
- In a letter sent to all government ministries and departments Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba warned "that serious view would be taken" against those who fail to attend the ceremony despite invitations
- Of the 1.92 lakh beneficiaries that were to be vaccinated till January 25, the state has covered 1.77 lakh.
- “The chief minister is corrupt so he’s being controlled by the prime minister,” said Gandhi during his roadshow in Karur district.