Dalits protest outside police station in UP town after clashes in which 9 were injured
Members of two communities clashed in Maharajpur village under Baghrai police station in Uttar Pradesh’s Pratapgarh district late on Monday night. The clash is believed to be a fallout of a scuffle which took place during a ‘dangal’ (a wresting event) held on Nag Panchami few days back, the police said.
Large number of dalits, including women, surrounded the Baghrai police station on Tuesday morning alleging that nine people were assaulted and injured by assailants in the scuffle. The protesters demanded immediate action against the accused. An FIR has been lodged and raids were being carried out to arrest the accused, Pratapgarh Superintendent of Police (SP) Abhishek Singh said.
Additional police force has been deployed in the area to avoid any untoward situation, he added.
According to reports, a wrestling event was organised in Maharajpur village on July 25. Locals claim that Ashiq Ali, Asgar Ali and some other people from village Ahladganj started interfering in the sport and even engaged in a schffle with the organisers. However, the elders had intervened and pacified both the groups then.
But on Monday night, a local Pintu Saroj was strolling on the main road of Maharajpur village when he was attacked by over a dozen youth from Ahladganj. Some other people who rushed to his rescue were also assaulted and injured by attackers who then fled when large number of villagers gathered.
Nine injured people were taken to district hospital where doctors referred four of them to SRN hospital in Prayagraj for treatment. Enraged over the incident, a large number of people belonging to dalit community surrounded the Baghrai police station on Tuesday morning. They demanded immediate arrest of all the accused.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- On January 8, state election commissioner N Ramesh Kumar released the schedule for elections to be held in four phases
- The police say about 30,000 tractors are likely to participate in the rally, but farm leaders said the number of vehicles will be closer to 200,000.
- The break-up of 946 police personnel who have been awarded medals on the occasion of the Republic Day, 2021.
- "We have promised ourselves that we will not just meet our Paris Agreement targets but exceed them...” PM Modi said.
- The Nagaland government had come to the Supreme Court in exceptional circumstances for orders to restrain the sitting Lokayukta from hearing any case or exercising his powers or functions under the Nagaland Lokayukta Act, 2017.
- His mother said she was not at all happy to receive the news that her son was conferred Maha Vir Chakra. “I expected the top medal, not this,” she said.
- In a letter sent to all government ministries and departments Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba warned "that serious view would be taken" against those who fail to attend the ceremony despite invitations
- Of the 1.92 lakh beneficiaries that were to be vaccinated till January 25, the state has covered 1.77 lakh.
- “The chief minister is corrupt so he’s being controlled by the prime minister,” said Gandhi during his roadshow in Karur district.