Dense fog continues to prevail in North India, cold wave recedes | Updates
The IMD has issued an orange alert for fog in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, and Bihar.
A thick blanket of fog covered several parts of North India on Wednesday morning with the India Meteorological Department (IMD) issuing an orange alert for Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, and Bihar. Several flights and trains have been delayed due to the fog conditions in the northern region. The weather agency has also predicted “cold day to severe cold day conditions” in Delhi, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Haryana, and Uttar Pradesh.
Here are the latest updates:
1. The IMD has issued an orange alert for fog in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, and Bihar; while a yellow alert has been issued in Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jammu and Kashmir, and Uttarakhand.
Also read: Mercury up a wee bit, but cold and fog to persist in U.P.
2. The weather agency also issued a cold day warning in some parts of North India. “Dense to very dense fog over Northwest India and cold day to severe cold day over Delhi, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Haryana, and Uttar Pradesh”, the IMD bulletin said.
2. Delhi's Palam area recorded visibility of 100 meters on Wednesday morning. According to IMD, Punjab's Bhatinda saw a visibility of zero meters, Amritsar recorded 25 meters and Ludhiana saw 200 meters. “West Rajasthan: Ganganagar-25meters; Haryana- Hissar, Ambala and Bhiwani-25 meters each; Karnal, Safdarjung and Ayanagar (Delhi) 200 metres each,” reported the weather agency. It further added, “West UP: Agra-0 meters ; East UP: Varanasi/Babatpur, Bahraich, Sultanpur and Lucknow-50 meters; Bihar: Gaya, Bhagalpur-50 meters each, Purnea-200 meters; Sub-Himalayan West Bengal: Cooch Behar-25meters, Baghdogra-50 meters and Jalpaiguri-200 meters; Uttarakhand: Pantnagar-200 meters.”
3. Around 45 flights including Delhi-Shimla, Delhi-Kathmandu, Delhi-Chennai, Delhi-Jaisalmer, Delhi-Bareilly, Delhi-Mumbai, Delhi-Varanasi, Delhi-Srinagar, Delhi-Jaipur, Delhi-Guwahati were delayed on Wednesday morning due to fog and cold weather in the national capital, reported news agency ANI citing sources. There was no flight diversion reported till 8 am, they added.
Also read: Cold wave abates, fog delays flights, trains amid severe pollution levels
4. Due to fog, 26 trains are running late in the Northern Railway region.
5. Meanwhile, according to IMD, the cold wave conditions have abated from the plains of northwest India and no cold wave is likely over North India during the next 4 days.