Hirakhand Express derailment death toll rises to 40
The toll in the Jagdalpur-Bhubaneswar Hirakhand Express derailment rose to 40 with the recovery of another body from the accident site on Tuesday.
“The 40th death is now officially confirmed after post mortem,” an East Coast Railway statement said, adding the body was recovered from the accident site at Kuneru in Andhra Pradesh.
The body had in fact got buried in the ground and was spotted when the site was being cleared.
The Railways confirmed the death only after the post-mortem report was made available, it said.
The Visakhapatnam Divisional Railway Manager’s office also issued a statement saying that a body was recovered from the site of accident today, taking the toll to 40.
Nine coaches of Jagdalpur-Bhubaneswar Hirakhand Express derailed near Kuneru station in Vizianagaram district of Andhra Pradesh on Saturday night.
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Railway Safety held the statutory inquiry into the mishap for the second consecutive day today. Ram Kripal, Commissioner of Railway Safety, South Central Circle, Secunderabad, under the Ministry of Civil Aviation is holding the inquiry.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In a letter sent to all government ministries and departments Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba warned "that serious view would be taken" against those who fail to attend the ceremony despite invitations
- Of the 1.92 lakh beneficiaries that were to be vaccinated till January 25, the state has covered 1.77 lakh.
- “The chief minister is corrupt so he’s being controlled by the prime minister,” said Gandhi during his roadshow in Karur district.
- Police arrested the 32-year-od man from the airport while he was waiting to catch a fight for Dubai
- Union home secretary Ajay Bhalla said that states must check the spread rumours, and direct all the concerned authorities to take appropriate measures to counter false information about Covid-19 vaccines.
- The Maha Vir Chara and the Vir Chara are India's second and third highest wartime gallantry award.