India shouldn’t adopt ‘illegal trespass’ as policy to achieve targets: China
India has rejected as “utterly baseless, malicious and mischievous” reports in a section of the Pakistani media claiming that over 150 Indian Army soldiers died in Sikkim due to a Chinese rocket attack.india Updated: Jul 18, 2017 23:57 IST
China ‘s criticism of India over the standoff in Sikkim sector continued unabated on Tuesday, with the foreign ministry saying New Delhi should withdraw troops from Donglang region to prevent any escalation and not adopt “illegal trespass” as a policy to achieve its political targets.
The foreign ministry said the impasse had attracted the world community’s attention and indicated that members of the diplomatic corps in Beijing had been updated about the standoff.
“The illegal trespass by the Indian border personnel has drawn extensive attention from the international community and many foreign diplomatic missions in China said they were shocked by this,” foreign ministry spokesperson Lu Kang told a regular news briefing.
“We also stressed that the facts are very clear in this incident. The Sikkim section in the China-India boundary is mutually recognised by the two sides. This time, the Indian border personnel illegally trespassed into Chinese territory,” he said.
“Since the illegal trespass, many diplomats in China felt shocked and (wanted) to confirm whether it was true from the Chinese side…the Chinese side maintained close communication (with the diplomats),” he added. “We stressed that the Indian side should not take the trespass as a policy to reach its political targets.”
China hopes India “gets a clear understanding of the current situation” and takes “immediate (steps to) bring back the personnel who illegally crossed the border to avoid escalation”, Lu said.
Beijing has already made it clear that there is no room for “negotiations” to resolve the military impasse near the Sikkim border and India must withdraw its troops to end the standoff.
A commentary by the official Xinhua news agency last week said India would face “embarrassment” if does not withdraw its troops to its own side of the frontier and the situation could get “worse”.
It further said India had lied to the world by saying it dispatched troops to help it ally Bhutan, whereas “apparently” Thimphu had sent no such invitation to New Delhi for help.
“China has made it clear that there is no room for negotiations on this incident, and India must withdraw its border-crossing troops from Doklam. For China, border line is the bottom line,” the commentary said.
Indian and Chinese troops have been locked in a standoff in the Donglang or Doklam region at the tri-junction of the boundaries of India, Bhutan and China since June 16. India has said its troops acted in coordination with the Bhutan government to oppose the construction of a road by Chinese troops in the strategic region. Donglang is under the control of the Chinese though the area is claimed by Bhutan.
First Published: Jul 18, 2017 14:34 IST