Supreme Court says ‘history owes apology to LGBT community’: Top 10 quotes
The Supreme Court on Thursday decriminalised Section 377 in a big win for the LGBTQ community.Updated: Sep 06, 2018 13:40 IST
The Supreme Court on Thursday decriminalised gay sex, reading down a British-era law that penalises people for their sexual orientation.
A five judge constitution bench, headed by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, gave the verdict, in a big win for the LGBTQ community.
Here are the top quotes from the SC verdict:
1. Not for nothing the great German thinker said..I am what I am, so take me as I am.
2. Identity is pivotal to one’s name. In Constitution, emphasis is laid on individual recognition. Privacy of human beings constitutes the cardinal rule of our Constitution .
3. LGBT possess equal rights as other citizens.
4. Any discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation violates fundamental rights.
5.Constitution is a living organic document, pragmatic interpretation has to be given to combat rigorous inequality and injustice.
6. Social morality cannot be used to violate the fundamental rights of even a single individual; constitutional morality cannot be martyred at the altar of social morality.
7. Section 377 fails to make distinction between consensual and non-consensual acts ..It had become a weapon for the harassment for LGBT and subject them to discrimination.
8. LGBTs have a fundamental right to live with dignity, such groups are entitled to protection of law.
9. To deny members of LGBT community the full expression of right to sexual orientation is to deny them right under Constitution, is denial to right to privacy .
10. History owes apology to the LGBT community. They were made to live a life full of fear.
First Published: Sep 06, 2018 12:00 IST